« Open the Door | Main | Dancitecture in its truest form »

My Values and Sustainability?

blog3.jpg

How do I describe myself when it comes to sustainability? Well, as the assignment says, I am supposed to find some pictures, make a playlist, and get some quotes. So, I did just that, but I don't think these things fully reflect my decision to choose sustainability. Honestly I chose sustainability to learn more about it, to learn what it's all about. I have no agenda for it already, so this research project is really just that. I expect to do research on it, and form an opinion on it thereafter. Not the other way around.

CO2PerCapita.png

I think the most influential song would be Who Am I by Casting Crowns--it talks a lot about how we are here today, gone tomorrow. This idea is nothing new, but it gives me a fresh reminder that nothing is guaranteed. Like the gift of life, and the earth. God gave us this earth so we would work it and dwell on it. I plan to investigate how we've worked and dwelled over the years, and how it has affected the earth which He gave us. Right now, I see sustainability as an overemphasized idea---everyone talking about the CO2 emissions needing to be reduced, but at the same time, it's just been found that the large amount of these emissions is jumpstarting the growth of forests and plants. Record growth has been discovered with direct correlation to CO2 emissions. So, I'm looking to figure out where my values and sustainability fit in, because right now I'm not completely sure. Sometimes sustainability seems to have a political agenda behind it---like Al Gore...the man talks about pollution and taking care of the earth when he travels in a private jet. I'm just trying to fit my beliefs about Jesus Christ and what He says in the Scriptures into this whole thing. Fitting a Christian mentality into a secular, politically-charged issue presents its own problems. You may feel like I'm being hypocritical, because last week I said that it's all connected. God, the environment, everything. And it is, totally and completely. I still and always will believe that, however, actually getting out there and putting my words into action requires more work---people must understand God's love before they can understand why hurting His earth is bad. First and foremost, it's bad because it hurts what God created for us. Yes, there are lots of other reasons. But as far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters. At the same time, one day we won't inhabit this earth..so we shouldn't become too attached to it. A couple of articles written on raptureready.com encouraged me in writing this blog:

The only lasting issue is whether each of us will be around to see the day when the lion lies down with the lamb and every stream runs crystal clear with pure water. Knowing that the earth will eventually be put back in order, we need to be concerned with the preservation of our eternal souls.
“For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?? (Mat. 16:26).
Any person who is truly a born-again child of God anticipating the rapture, and who has the attitude that he or she doesn’t care about our environment or in living as a good citizen, should earnestly check his or her Christian credentials. Jesus himself created this magnificent habitat. God said that it was “very good,? much like we might step back and look at a project dear to our hearts when finished in a pleasing fashion, and say to ourselves, “that is very good.? We are to care deeply about this earth upon which we have been placed. But, of course, we are not to worship it.

Another portion of an article from raptureready.com:
For some people, global warming has become a new religion. They pay homage to the god of conservation by purchasing energy saving bulbs; they view capitalists as the devil, and grant sainthood to people who share the gospel message.
This religion also has its hypocrites, like Al Gore, the reigning pope of environmentalism. When he went to deliver his famous warning at the U.N. Global Warming conference in Kyoto, Japan, he burned more than 439,500 pounds, or 65,600 gallons, of fuel flying on Air Force II. The most I've ever consumed in a single trip is 40 gallons. Oh, but there’s more:
• He has large stock holdings in Occidental Petroleum.
• Most of his personal property does not use green energy.
• He owns multiple homes, one of which is a 10,000-square-foot behemoth.
• While promoting his movie, he continued polluting the airways by traveling in his own private jet.

Now before you assume this article being too one-sided, I have something to say. I would say that you're right. It is one-sided. Because once you repent and have Jesus in your life, everything is His side. So for this man, though he may sound judgmental and offensive, he knows that the ultimate truth Jesus presents is and was offensive to most.
truth.jpg

He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather scatters.
- Matthew 13:20

Playlist:
Worthy is the Lamb by Hillsong
Life is Wonderful by Jason Mraz
Wonderful Maker by Jeremy Camp
Better is One Day by Kutless
Wheel by John Mayer
All Who Are Thirsty by Kutless
Agnus Dei by Michael W. Smith
Above All by Michael W. Smith
Beautiful One by By The Tree
How Great is Our God by Chris Tomlin
Who Am I by Casting Crowns