« Energy Transformation in an Urban Community | Main | My Values and Sustainability? »

Open the Door

Finding a social-design issue isn't hard when you live in a city of over 300,000 people. What is hard, however, is finding one that you truly care about, one that you're willing to immerse yourself in, one that you're willing to advocate. There are very few things that get me fired up in this world, and many times, these things aren't about global warming or being green, or even being politically correct. No, these things are a part of a bigger so-called "social-design" issue.
The very word social has so many different meanings: 1) pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club 2) seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious 3) of or relating to human society, the interaction of the individual and the group, or the welfare of human beings as members of society --For these purposes, I'll be focusing on the third definition, specifically the welfare part. The welfare of our city, our nation, our universe. It is social on the biggest degree.

Now, this idea of it all being part of a bigger picture may have lost some of you along the way. So, I'll step back just a pinch--last Sunday in church my pastor was talking about how he was reading Clarence Thomas', the second African American Supreme Court Justice, memoirs. In these memoirs, Clarence was speaking about how he felt that the minister was preaching on an irrelevant topic. It wasn't applicable to him, he thought. My thought is this: it's all applicable. Global warming, yes. Abortion, yes. Huge mansions that overtake the rest of the neighborhood, definitely. It doesn't matter..they're all applicable, to us, and to a bigger thing than ourselves.
I'm an advocate for Jesus Christ, I can not deny it(nor would I want to!). He is the foundation in my life, and I want everyone else to understand how He can be for them too. I must confess, however, I do not live up to this idea of every ear hearing the Gospel. This is an issue! In fact, its part of the greatest social-design issue in history. Believers, myself included, are not sharing the Good News of Christ frequently enough! Once this happens, lives are changed. Not through us, but through Him.
We fill our lives up with being advocates for so many other things: be it environmental, social, design-related, etc. What I'm saying: it's all relevant, and it all doesn't match up to the love of Christ. Once we have that, and understand it, things will change. We will care about the environment, because we know that God created it for man and his dwelling. Ultimately, it's His world! And we will care about the uncared for: the homeless, the refugees, the illegal aliens, because we know that they are God's people too; they don't deserve the Good News of Christ like the rest of us. Don't deserve? That's right, we don't deserve God. That's what makes the Gospel so beautiful; we are sinners who don't deserve a holy and loving God. But we get Him anyways, becase He's kind and merciful. At the same time, don't make the mistake of thinking He's unjust. God practices ultimate justice.
The ultimate social-design issue is that we are separated from God, we were meant to be with Him. But because of our sin (it all started with Adam and Eve), we can not be. The solution to this design problem is Jesus Christ: he was the only person who ever could and did lead a perfect life. He was the perfect Lamb, the perfect Sacrifice. So, please don't be a Clarence Thomas and think that where you spend eternity is irrelevant, or not applicable for you. Because, whether you believe it or not, God exists. He has ultimate control over everything, and He is your God. You may not call on Him, but He's always at your heart's door.

Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.

-Revelation 3:20