ALL3920 Final Exam Study Guide

You will be responsible for doing four things on the final exam:
1. Be ready to identify the artist, title, and genre for any song posted on the course weblog with active links. If the genre of a song has not been discussed in class or seems ambiguous, don't worry about it. Just review the genres we discussed in class: 1920s Jazz/pop, March, Rockabilly, Enka, Group Sounds (GS), Rock, New Music, Idol singer pop, Dance pop, and Rap/Hip hop. I will play five songs you will have to identify in this way.
2. Write an in-depth analysis or close reading of one song that I will play for you during the exam. I will provide a handout with a translation of the song's lyrics. What historical period is the song from? How does the musical style relate to genre and Japanese listener expectations of the time? Are the lyrics and the music in tension with one another, or do they generally reinforce one another? What sort of persona do the song and the singer project? Do you think the song is successful as art or as entertainment? Why or why not?
3. Write an in-depth analysis or close reading of one music video that I will play for you during the exam. I will provide a lyric sheet for the video. What historical period is the song from? How does the musical style relate to genre and Japanese listener expectations? Are the lyrics, music, or video in tension with one another, or do they generally reinforce one another. What sort of persona and atmosphere do the song, the singer, and the video project? Do you think the song is successful as art or as entertainment? Why or why not?
4. Write a three page essay on the most important things you learned in this class. What did you learn? How and why are these things useful or important for understanding Japan, world history, or the world we live in today?

Posted by ander025 at 4:36 PM

ALL3920 Final Exam Schedule

Monday, Dec. 21
8am-10am
Folwell Hall 16

Posted by ander025 at 1:48 PM

Week 14

Posts please.

Posted by ander025 at 9:55 AM

Week 13

Posts please.

Posted by ander025 at 9:54 AM