the sustainability project from discussion section today (blog 9) FINALLY

ants.jpg

I thought the group that did their project on envitornmental sustainability in America had a fantastic document. I also think it was smart of them to present their actual document since that meant less work for them (power points take too long and do not transfer material accurately between different versions). I liked that it was about America because it has an actual presence in my life (duh right i live here). Mostly I just liked the layout of their document because of the colors (my favoriet colore is gren) and the repeated layout pattern. I didn't get much of the details though, mainly because of the time crunch, but still i think the information was more specific than some of the groups that actually had a full fifteen minutes. All in all they did a good job, especially since they had some communication issues due to the language barriers. I think the proposed housing innovations were pretty neat, especially the gutter powered toilets. It would be pretty dreary to live in a house where the only windows faced away from the sun. Maybe some new technology can be created to make see through solar panels possible. That would be an easier sell to most homeowners in my opinion.

My take on the honors somalia hunger & poverty presentation BLOG PROMPT 8

Okay so i'm responding to the honors presentation on eradicating extreme poverty and hunger in Somalia. I chose this one because since my group also did our presentation on eradicating extreme poverty from Ethiopia (a country that shares a large portion of its border with Somalia), i was able to better follow what they were talking about. One big difference I noticed between Somalia and Ethiopia was that Somalia's agriculture is really horrible compared to Ethiopia's. Thats probably because Ethiopia has a highlands region which can be a super great environment for crops. So basically since Somalia doesn't have that strong background in agriculture the honors presentation was pretty different from ours. Their plan was more focused on education so that somalians could get jobs that weren't dependent on agriculture. our plan was to focus on education (among other things) so that ethiopians could support their agriculture. At first I thought the two countries were pretty much in the same situation for the same reasons. Really, they are in the same situation (hunger, poverty, horribly dependent on foreign aid), but the circumstances ended up being different. I also picked this presentation because somalia and ethiopia have a close relationship and have had conflicts for a long time. actually if both countries worked together they might have a better chance at survival, because while ethiopia has huge potential with agriculture, they have no coast, so a partnership with somalia would mean better trade for ethiopia and income for somalia outside of agriculture. who knows maybe they'll work something out.
ethiopia and somalia.gif
but anyway, yea i wasn't that impressed with the design of their powerpoint. it was kind of blah, but then again maybe they had technology difficulties like us. who knows. it was interesting none the less, but i thought it wasn't as spectacular as it should have been coming from "honors" students. i thought the project on environmentally sustainability in america done by the people in my discussion section was ten times better...which leads me to my next AND FINAL!! blog prompt...

the three cover pages

i don't remember the exact blog prompt, but i'm pretty sure it had something to do with designing three different cover pages for the project. so that is what i did:

cover 1.jpg

cover 2.jpg

cover 3.jpg

the end.

Look for and document stuff

look for and document some examples of presentation/documentation
styles that your term project may take as inspiration.

Let's see. I don't like most of what I see. Like this for instance, I hate this:
print magazine.jpg
The main reason why I find the print magazine website so offensive is because of the blankness one encounters when the page first loads. One must scroll down before one can see the menu and graphics. I can't think of any reason why the layout person would have left this gaping grey space for me to look at before i check out their web mag. Yes, as I've heard, white space is important, but all i see is gray space, and it doesn't appear to be contrasting anything but itself. in my design i want to aspire towards everything having a purpose, or at least it should look freakin bomb.

this is bad for another reason:
cmyk magazine.jpg
while this does serve a purpose, i think it does not look bomb. the graphics are kind of wacked out, which i'm sure was the intention of the artist. I just don't really see a theme that he/she was going for so it just looks all - a - jumble. their, i've created a new vernacular in which we can converse. I expect to hear "a-jumble" at least once a discussion period, otherwise i shall be quite dissatisfied.
This is better, and I like it so it will stick in my head, but I can't say that it will influence my project in any way other than indirect:
graphis design magazine.jpg
since this is the from the same mag as the picture below i think what i wrote below also applies.but more importantly, this main page introduces an order that repeats itself in the rest of the website layout. I appreciate the familiarity a simple pattern can evoke. i feel that with the other mags i am overwhelmed by the helter skelter, all over the placed-ness. looky there i made a word.

this also is nice to look at:
graphis mag.jpg
I like this because it is visceral, the red lips immediately attract your attention, while remaining ordered in the simple pattern of the photos arranged in a line. the black contrasts nicely with the other colors too. I was wondering, maybe i'll ask you in class justin, but is white space interchangeable with black space? I mean i don't really see a reason why not for computer layouts, but maybe if one made a black poster to hang on a white wall it wouldn't be very clear to look at.

ANYWAY.

But I think my project will probably go in whatever direction that directs me. I don't think putting up a random picture i think looks nice will actually be a good representation of what the end product will look like, so putting up random pictures is what I do. I always do that with everything. Most always I get okay ideas at first, and I know they are only okay, and I'm okay with that, so I go with it, and then afterwards I'm even more okay with ditching the old idea for the better somethings I think of as I go along. I know that everything is going to influence the designs I will ever make. I can choose some of the stimuli floating around in front of me, but most every other thing I experience isn't in my control. I won't guess which of the millions pieces of information are going to affect what I create. I can only imagine that I will make something, that it will be mine and that it will be whatever it is. on another note, I do the project reflects the ideal of usefullness, order and spontaneity. But really, the way we split up our work in groups, i probably won't have too much imput in the design. jason offered that he has lots of experience in design ( at least more so than maria or I) so my work is going to primarily be research and writing. I am not really upset because I am a strong writer and critical thinker (although i tend to ask more questions than answer them, and also i am sometimes too satisfied with simply asking questions. i must overcome this, otherwise i will have a difficult time getting a's in the years to come) but anyway that is my blog and i hope it poked your interest.

How Could I

DONNIE DARKO.bmp

How does the built environment affect me in relation to Ethiopia? Well... the environment within which I connect to Ethiopia and Ethiopia connects to me is the internet. A lens, a social structure, a series of tubes; every environment affects the way it's inhabitants view everything. In my room I can touch, see, taste, smell: everything. It's personal, so personal because aside from occasional visitors (the cats, my dad, ect.) I am aware only of my being within my room. My room exists only in the way it relates to me. I cannot grasp the way it exists for the cats, or my father, or the spiders whose webs hang around in the corners of the ceiling. I can only understand my own space, the environment of which I am most familiar, through my experience of it; I can only understand Ethiopia through my experience of it. I can't remember the first time I considered that Ethiopia exists. Maybe in seventh grade it fell into my head along with some other places I am thoroughly ignorant of. I know for sure that since then it has evaded my consciousness until now. I have never touched, smelled, tasted or seen Ethiopia, and it has never sensed me. It is a being within my understanding, but it is little to me. And I for that matter and am even less to it. A book, a picture, allows Ethiopia to grow for me, to seep a bigger stain into my mind. But I cannot push back through the picture or words and know that Ethiopia is aware of me. It is easy to ignore something, someone, that does not know it is being rejected. I can continue my anonymity. Fifty years ago it would have been much easier to influence my life so that Ethiopia would never acknowledge me. There would have been much less opportunity for me to communicate with people outside of my own American culture. But today I could go on facebook and friend an Ethiopian person. THE INTERNET MADE ME DO IT.

All that emo stuff aside, i really do believe that while the research project could meet every requirement and even go beyond the requirements without ever meeting a person from Ethiopia, i feel that i could benefit personally from such an encounter, and perhaps gain some experience from the individual so i could approach the mdg at an angle that is more respectful and insightful to the real issues Ethiopia has to deal with. My service learning is at a program called EFTIN. it is an after school tutoring program for students from Somalia. I chose the organization because i thought i would gain more from participating in something outside of my own culture. and i was right. the last time i volunteered i was able to talk first hand with the coordinator who is from somalia. he explained some of the political upheaval in ethiopia and the surrounding countries and even offered the suggestion of a book that would give a scholarly and fairly recent account. basically i am just glad that my wish to actuallly speak face to face with someone who is so much closer to Ethiopia than I am came true. the end.

LEOPLURODON

TEXT.
How could I possibly know what I would do in a situation if I am not currently in that situation. Are you implying that I shouldn't be in the the architecture school program? If so why don't you just come out and say it instead of prompting me to do it for you?
IMAGE.
don't do crack kids.jpg
Use your imagination kids!!
Magical Wonder!
Leoplurodon.jpg

Get me through the night

open this in a new tab, and stay on this page (the video doesn't represent anything)
"...as the sun sinks slowly in the West, we sail away from this lovely island of dreams to the next few islands, which, as it turned out, were made of dreams as well." -Malcolm Wells
floating house.bmp
I talk in my dreams, and sometimes waking people hear me.
sad woman.bmp
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep. - William Shakespeare
hemp for victory.bmp
"We can reach the morning light." -Gary Wright

THIS FUCKING BLOG IS A POOR SOCIAL DESIGN AND MAKES ITS USERS WANT TO PUNCH A LIGHTBULB. ADVOCATE THAT.

ugly rat dog.jpg

THIS USER INTERFACE IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT. I DIDN'T TAKE THIS FUCKING CLASS TO LEARN COMPUTER PROGRAMMING, AND I DIDN'T EXPECT TO BE LIMITED BY NOT KNOWING HOW TO EDIT HTML DOCUMENTS. I HAVE LOST PRETTY MUCH ALL RESPECT FOR THIS CLASS BECAUSE OF THIS WORTHLESS EXCUSE FOR A BLOG. ANY HELP THE "HELP" BUTTONS COULD ACTUALLY PROVIDE IS RENDERED UNINTELLIGIBLE BY ITS PROGRAMMING JARGON. SO FUCK THIS SHIT. IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO SEE WHAT I THINK THEN CLICK THE LINK.

Download file

OH AND I MUST POINT OUT AN OBVIOUS YET LARGELY IGNORED FACT: HAVING A PRETTY BLOG IS NOT A PREREQUESITE FOR HAVING A BLOG WITH WORTHWHILE CONTENT, SO FUCK ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO MANIPULATE A PROGRAM THAT ISN'T WORTH THE TIME I'M TAKING TO WRITE THIS.

I was thinking it would be pretty awesome to be able to transfer cold into energy, but from what I hear that's at the end of a heat equation.

BLOG PROMPT #1
inspired by Andy Goldsworthy (and our discussions today), document and investigate,
through text and image - this idea of energy, flow and transformation through the city.

Okay, SOOO... After discussion section on Friday I walked toward Coffman Union and I wondered what I would write for my first blog entry. I wandered down the sidewalk with my hands in my pockets and my hood buttoned. Yes, buttoned. After a minute I realized I was too cold to stay outside, so I went inside the nearest building, a library. I dug out my camera from my backpack and thought, "Pictures. Hmmm." The first time I read the blog prompt in class on the "big screen" I hadn't been sure where I was supposed to go with it. I thought about asking for an explanation, but caught myself, realizing that an answer to a vague question is harder to prove incorrect than an answer to a specific question. Standing behind the doors of the Walter Library I knew I was getting nowhere. I took out the question and scratched out all of the articles. It looked like a long set of keywords for a Google search. In fact I was tempted to put the words into a Google search box, but I resisted, recognizing that thousands of articles on "Andy Goldsworthy" and "energy flow" would only further confuse me. I turned my camera on and pushed through the doors into the cold, gray outside and took some pictures. "I may not be able to capture what the question is, but my camera surely will!" I thought. I imagined my camera might also be able to capture an answer floating around in the city. These are my pictures:

DSCN0829.JPG
DSCN0831.JPG
DSCN0833.JPG
DSCN0834.JPG
DSCN0841.JPG
DSCN0846.JPG
DSCN0847.JPG
DSCN0848.JPG
DSCN0850.JPG
DSCN0851.JPG
DSCN0852.JPG
DSCN0853.JPG
DSCN0857.JPG
In each picture I saw forms of energy including water, light, air or fuel. I noticed several devices which transform energy. Also I observed several types of organization. “Ah, the city is such an unique being!? I jabbed. “Right, like energy’s never been transformed before. Transformation happens all the time, duh.? I countered. (Currently the reader should be questioning my sanity in relating a discussion I once had with myself.)
Transformation of the flow of energy is how nature works and how cities work. The transformations in both environments begin and end with free energy, but the who, when, where and why of the transformations differ. In cities humans control energy through innovations in location they choose and for reasons they deem necessary for survival. The most important aspect of a city is efficiency. In order for a city to accommodate its inhabitants every resource must be taken into account and used to produce the best outcome for the continued survival of the environment. A city planner’s goal should be to implement methods of applying energy that flow in line with nature (like windmills, solar panels and watermills). That’s basically all I’ve got for y’all today.