Self-Efficacy Survey

I found this survey (which my girlfriend sent me) most interesting. I wasn't actually able to fulfill the survey because I didn't fit the requirements, but the wording of the introduction section was very professional. The questions in it are mostly likert and semantic differential scale questions. The sensitivity of the subject matter warrants this. The survey also was successfully arranged in a funnel format, with broader questions at the beginning and more sensitive questions at the end. This way, no one taking the survey would be offended by the questions asked, and they would be more likely to answer the questions in a truthful manner.

Hello everyone,
I am developing a scale to measure financial self-efficacy of women who have experienced relationship violence and seeking participants to take my online survey. This study has been approved by the University of Minnesota's Institutional Review Board (IRB). Participation is completely anonymous and no identifying information will be recorded. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete. I would also greatly appreciate if you could pass this to your network.

Would the study be a good fit for you?
This study might be a good fit for you if:
· You have experienced domestic violence or dating violence
· You are 18 or above
What would happen if you took part in the study?
If you decide to take part in the study, you will be asked to take an online survey about financialself-efficacy, which takes less than 10 minutes to complete.

UFOs and Poor Survey Design

A recent article from US News featured a survey from National Geographic that asked Americans if they believe the US government withholds information about UFOs. Being interested in the prospect of extraterrestrial life, I was pleasantly surprised to find that 80 percent of Americans agree with me - that the government is covering it up. However, after looking more closely at the survey itself, i found that this 80 percent does not reflect the broader US population. Only 1,100 Americans were sampled!! This is not a large enough sample size to make generalizations about whether Americans believe in this controversial subject. The catchy headline of this article draws readers in, but the small sample size invalidates the survey.

Including more people from a broader demographic would help validate the results of this survey. Additionally, it would be helpful to include some qualitative results such as interviews or focus group summaries. Simply including survey data is not sufficient in this situation.
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/06/28/most-americans-believe-government-keeps-ufo-secrets-survey-finds

Diverse Learning Survey

I was recently asked to participate in a survey which was designed to find out about the different academic experiences that college kids have during their college careers. Below is the invitation to the survey directly from the email that i received..

I like the way the questions in this survey were worded. They are not misleading or spontaneous in ordering. This survey was well-designed and this makes it easy to complete. I also feel that the way they ordered the questions helps people taking the survey provide more rational responses.

The University of Minnesota Twin Cities is participating in a national survey about college students. Conducted by the Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA, this survey asks your opinion on many items relevant to examining the impact of college. Every year, students from college and universities across the country are asked to participate in the same survey. It asks about your academic work, your interaction with faculty and peers, your participation in campus activities, your perceptions of the climate on campus, and your use of campus services.

Results from this survey are used by faculty and administrators at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities and by higher education researchers to understand and improve the undergraduate college experience.

A random drawing of survey respondents will identify 30 winners to receive gift cards worth $50 from the campus bookstore.

The website for this survey is: https://www.drcsurveys.com/DLE2013/et.aspx?Logon=K8ZWYTT

Primary Market Research

The attached article stresses the importance of diversifying primary market research. Including both quantitativ and qualitative methods is only the beginning in providing your client with the most efficient market research analysis.

This article details the diversifying process in survey research. Simply creating one survey and administering it via a single media outlet is usually inefficient in the market research field. Instead, it is important to construct multiple surveys with a similar theme that can be administered via multiple media outlets. This way, more people can be reached, results can be generalized, and results can also be coded in a more efficient fashion. By adhering to these primary research guidelines, research analysis and interpretation become much easier.

http://www.allbusiness.com/marketing/market-research/1287-1.html#axzz2EJIURn2i

UMN Housing Survey

The below survey asks students express their housing preferences on the U of M campus. This is a very valid survey, because so many new apartment building are being built around the dinkytown area. Unlike the previous housing survey that I took, this one asks more open-ended questions and allows for more creativity from students who take the survey.

Because of the open-ended questioning, I believe that the creators of this survey need suggestions on where and how many apartment building to allow to be built. The open-ended questions reaffirm this assumption.

We are conducting a housing survey, and your response would be appreciated. Complete the survey by March 28th and be entered to win a new iPad!

Here is a link to the survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=qEFBlA2mkZa0obG1ycANHA_3d_3d

This link is uniquely tied to this survey and your email address. Please do not forward this message.

Thanks for your participation!

Peak Campus Management

Reuters 2012 Digital Report

The Reuters Institute for the study of journalism released its 2012 digital report, which conveys new insights about digital news consumption around the world. The results showed that people in the US and the UK are more likely to view economic and business related news, and that they are also more likely to view news online than people in other European countries.

The survey methodology used for this study is available via the link below. Being an online survey, the methodology report admits that older people's consumption habits are under-represented. The study would be validated by including the responses of the older population. This could be accomplished by adding a phone interview survey for older people who don't have Internet access and thus are unable to complete the original survey. The contrast between the original results and the results from an older population would be interesting to compare, and it would give the findings more credibility in the research world.
http://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/fileadmin/documents/Publications/Other_publications/Digital_Report_Methodology.pdf

Quantitative Research from Nielsen

Nielsen ratings have been relied upon since the 1920s. While the Nielsen company originally measured radion ratings using techniques such as phone and mail surveys, they now use innovative digital techniques to provide television ratings for over 100 countries around the world. This link from the Nielsen website provides invaluable tips for improving digital advertising effectiveness.

Television networks use Nielsen ratings in order to find out what shows to run, and at which time to run them. Results such as reach and frequency allow media networks and cable television providers alike to maximize show exposure. Reach and frequency - measures of how many people see a program and how often they see it are telling statistics in the television business.
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/media_entertainment/how-prediction-learning-curves-can-improve-digital-ad-effectiveness/

Market Research Process

The article which I have attached to this post discusses the market research process. It first touches on the important parts of gathering research from primary sources such as interviews and focus groups, and then mentions the importance of utilizing pre-existing secondary research.

The most important part of this article is the section describing how to interpret the data you have previously gathered in market research. I learned how important it is to pay close attention to the demographics and psychographics of the parties that completed surveys and focus groups. Even if these groups gave satisfying answers, they might not be representative of a broader population, and thus they may be useless results.

Additionally, when presenting research findings, it is crucial to stress the useful facts even if they are bland in nature. Simply using advanced technology to provide meaningless results might impress your client, but they will lead you nowhere. Jazzing up the useful facts in order to impress clientele will help your market research benefit all parties involved.

http://www.business.qld.gov.au/business/starting/market-customer-research/market-research-basics/market-research-process

Using Social Media for Research

Social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook can be used effectively to gather research. These sites may not yield all the information necessary to answer a research question, but supplementing them into your research methodology will produce results.

First, monitoring social media buzz by tracking specific keywords can give insight into the frequency with which the specific product or aspect of your research is used online. Secondly, developing social media relationships with users can open up additional opportunities for surveys and online focus groups. The connections that can be established via social media networks can also be used for future research surveys and other qualitative research methods. This article from Entrepreneur explains how.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/220812

Bottled Water Pilot Survey

I recently participated in a pilot survey regarding the usage and perceptions of bottled water. The survey, sent to me via email from professor Ball, contained a series of questions asking me how frequently I consume bottled water, who makes bottled water available to me, and what my friends perception of bottled water is.

The wording of some of the questions was very misleading. A few of the questions were double-barreled in that they asked me two different questions at the same time. Questions such as these are difficult to answer and can pose problems when coding the survey results. I feel that the survey designer should have broken these questions up into separate questions instead of putting them together. This would have given the survey more clarity.

An example of one of the more misleading questions: Answer both of the following - How many times do you drink bottled water each month, and do you think that bottled water is preferable to tap water?