So I have talked to a few students here who are living in apartments and they have told me that they initially wanted to be in a home stay (because they have so many benefits!) but chose not to because they were too nervous about living with a random family.
I just wanted to tell you some reasons why a home stay is a great idea:
1. Your meals are cooked for you! That's right, no more making every meal for yourself. It is so nice after four years of making meals for one to just sit down and have dinner come to you. Also you get traditional meals from your host family and they are so good!
2. Your room is bigger than any students in the apartments. In England everything is generally on a smaller scale than back in America. I was able to see the apartments that people are sharing and they have three people in a room that is smaller than the one that I have at my home stay! It is also so great to have a room to go to when you just want to be alone and work on homework.
3. Your laundry is done for you. I was also lucky enough so my linens and room get cleaned every week. It is amazing!
4. You are a part of a family and chances are you will remember the time with them the most! I cannot tell you how much I know I am already going to miss my host family, all of the other students living here, and my host mother's children and grandchildren. They really do take you into their lives wholeheartedly, and what better way to learn about a city than from someone who has lived here for their whole life?
5. Your host family has the best insight on what to do in your country. Whether it is how to get to school or where to get food for lunch, they know the ins and outs of the city. It is really so comforting to know that you can come home and ask someone who will have a really well thought out answer.
If you are on the fence about doing a home stay, I hope these tips will help you! I know that I was very nervous but it really did turn out for the best! Your school in the country will also work very hard to make sure that you are happy with your location and family.