myU OneStop

UMASH

Recently in OneHealth Category

Weather and Disease

Upon reading the Associated Press article 'Disease forecasters look to the sky: Health scientists are including weather data in attempts to predict disease outbreaks', my immediate thought was that those working in agriculture have been using weather to forecast disease even longer. I did a quick Google Scholar search and found links to peer-reviewed journal articles which connect weather related predictions to diseases in plants, vector borne diseases, waterborne diseases and other specific disease topics such as Lyme disease, West Nile virus, Stewarts disease on corn, hurricane activity predicting bacterial canker on citrus and Septoria tritici blotch on winter wheat--the results were numerous.

What does this mean for those of us working in One Health? This article and the results of my Google search illustrate the interconnectedness of the Human-Animal-Ecosystem interface that is One Health. These articles elucidate the relationship that exists between these categories and supports our continued efforts to build systems of professionals that work in collaboration to address the problems that we face while continuing to improve the health overall.

Here is a link to the AP article referenced above: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=168513454