April 28, 2005
Many users of UThink probably don't realize this, but we are using an older version of Movable Type (the software that runs this site). Currently, we are using MT 2.661 and while it has served us well there is a new version of Movable Type that we think will work a lot better. Well, it took us a while, but we have finally purchased a license to Movable Type 3.16. Movable Type 3.16 will provide the same functionality you've grown accustomed to through UThink, but it offers a whole lot more:
- Faster rebuilds
- A new blogging interface that is more usable and standards compliant
- New comment and trackback management features that make it easier to find and delete problematic comments/pings.
- Improved spam control
- Scheduled, or "future" postings
- Subcategories for hierarchical categorization of posts
- Added support for Creative Commons 2.0 licenses
- Dynamic page capabilities powered by PHP
... and much, much more. For a list of many of the changes coming in the upgrade to UThink please see the MT Changelog.
Now the question is "when?" When will this upgrade take place? Unfortunately I don't have a definitive date as of yet, but we are working on putting an upgrade schedule together. It will probably happen sometime this summer. There are a lot of things that have to happen before we flip the switch, of course, including importing over 1,200 blogs into the new system. That is not a trivial task.
Stay tuned to this page for more details! We are excited to finally begin the process of upgrading to MT 3.16!Posted by snackeru at April 28, 2005 11:31 AM