« Gender as a supply and demand notion | Main | Gender as a supply and demand notion »

Gender as a supply and demand notion

While writing our first assignment of defining race, gender class sex, I can across several papers that dealt with the gender issues and problems on a global scales. One of the articles dealt with horrific practice of infanticide or Sex-selective abortion. In Western countries it is done when a pregnant woman does an ultrasound scan and when she finds that it’s a girls she makes an abortion.

Consider infanticide or Sex-selective abortion in China and India According to a report in 2005, 90 million girls are estimated to be killed in seven Asian countries alone due, apparently, to prenatal sex selective infanticide. The most common method of killing children over the ages has been head trauma, strangulation and drowning. These practices are especially common in places where cultural norms value male children over female children. Because male stay home and take care of parents and females marry in and require a lot of money as a dowry. Then we can see a population as a social construction in a way to emphasize that its composition, and dynamics depends on cultural aspects of society that values males more than females.

Right now China experiences a shortage in girls due to China’s one-child policies and sex-selective abortions a means of population control, so there is a huge competition for future wifes. It is estimated that by 2020 there could be more than 35 million young "surplus males" in China and 25 million in India. So those courtiers are considering relaxing some of the policies to allow more females to be born.
So my main question here is it logical to think of gender or define it as societal value similar to supply and demand notion, do you think if the trend continues and there will be less females then the boys will have less value?

Hello, you used to write great, but the last few posts have been kinda boringˇK I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

Hello author,

I applaud you for your insightful post, exposing infanticide-globally!

Your question is quite complex, however I will attempt to throw my twenty-five cents into this rubbish.

Firstly, I feel infanticide of females are in existence due to sexism, and patriarchy. WE are all familiar with misogyny. Women are up against oppression from the male species. Throughout history, women have been thrust into the "back room", while men stand at the "main entrance" of society's hotel.

Based on the history of gender relations within the world, I do not feel this "trend of supply and demand" of males will turn into a "trend of supply and demand" of females.

Sexism and misogyny drives patriarchy, thus males will always be valued!

Unless society shifts it self from its current oppression of women, to seeing women as equals to men, I do not foresee women being more valued than men-even if the supply is apoplectically screaming for a demand!

Hello author,