« Am I "Reverse-Classist"? | Main | Blog on Media Portryals »

Transformation of Racism Post 9/11

The first reading assigned this week particularly pertained to the research I have started to do for my paper. I am discussing racism and discrimination of Arab/Muslims after the events of September 11th. The stories brought up in the first few pages made me think how interesting the transition of racism has changed post 9/11. Prior to the events, minority groups such as African Americans and Latinos were the center of racist policies and discrimination in areas such as law enforcement, and traffic stops. After the attacks, it seems as though the shift has faded, but not completely disappeared from the “usual suspects? to those of Arabic descent. There are many factors which continue the discrimination, the main form today is the War in Iraq. Many uneducated citizens see the war on television or in the paper, and view those who live there as they enemy. History has shown similar instances where different events effect the racist policies in our country. A major event, which still shapes many people’s lives is slavery. Although not present in the United States today, the after affects are still present, and there is a big divide between those seen as “Black? to those perceived as “White?. Another event which is similar to the September 11th attacks was Pearl Harbor, the only other attack on American soil, besides the civil and revolutionary war. After the attack, Japanese citizens were discriminated against and put into interment camps for to prevent another attack. Although we do not put all Arabic people in camps, the government takes steps which hinder the freedom of travel and the right to live in privacy. It seems as though there is a constant struggle for dominance and power in the United States based on one’s perceived ethnicity. When will it shift again, and whom will be the next target of this wicked cycle? Will this ever be stopped, or are we eternally trapped in an unbalanced system? I feel breaking this system will be a hard feat. As discussed in class, from birth on, we are constantly shown what is right and wrong, and how we should view the world. Nearly everything can persuade us to believe one way or another. In order to break the system, we would have to very intricately examine everything in society and establish a system of unbiased advertisements and so forth.

Agreed. Very unique and a great expression of personality!Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little homework on that. And he in fact bought me lunch because I found it for him

In another class I'm taking this semester we look at the diversity as cultural settings in here in the US. We had a speaker come in from the Walker, and he talked about a project that happened right after 9-11. This artist wanted to look through the eyes of a child that had a Muslim upbringing. These pictures were amazing, as they would take pictures of things we take for granted, that were new and exciting to them. Although it was hard for the kids to open up during this time, it was a great way of showing that not everyone that considers themselves Muslim is a terrorist. I wish more people could have seen this exhibit, seeing these people as everyday children and not as someone different from us. I think we need more involvement with other communities throughout our cities and throughout the world. Knowledge is power, you need to understand someone before you judge them and their beliefs

Racism post-9/11 on Muslims is the equivalent of racism that has been endured by African-American, particularly slavery. If African-Americans, as a whole, were to blame every white person for slavery, and actually hate them for what their ancestors
partook in, what progress would be made today?

Similarly, how logical is it to accuse someone, only because they "look like a terrorist?" It makes no sense at all.

The high security at the airports-I feel-has given the masses of America false sense of hysteria. Anyone of us can walk on a plane with explosives, yet if you "look like a terrorist," you are most patronized?

In the aftermath of tragedy, America's apoplectic feelings led it to blame, just as those were blamed during the communist-blaming era.

I'm glad you are doing your paper on this very important topic. There is no denying that Muslims have received increased discrimination since 9/11. We have to understand what happened on 9/11 was an act committed by a group of individuals. So, we cannot take the acts of those individuals and generalize an entire group. What I'm saying is, we cannot say what those individuals did on 9/11 represents all Muslims around the world. I think this is what many people are forgetting, that is why the current cycle of discrimination exists for Muslims. This cycle will continue unless we do something to change it. We need to push for unbiased media representation, and relay the message from above onto others.

I think this is a very interesting topic and I'm glad to see that you are doing your paper on it. I think it is very unfortunate that the acts of just a few cause so much discrimination and trouble for all of the others. It is also unfortunate that this seems to just be a reoccuring cycle that can not be stopped. It is even harder in today's technological age to prevent people from seeing whole groups as 'the enemy', when the internet and television can easily portray anyone as anything. I think that it takes everyone understanding that discrimination is wrong and a group effort to prevent this from reoccuring.