« Americans Started the Race from Different Starting Line | Main | Ractial Wealth Gap »

Intersectionality

While reading William Roy’s article on Intersections small and large, I found it really interesting how he used the home, cities, and nations. Being that intersectionality is such a complex topic to understand, it is also interesting to see how each social construct intersect with each other.

The inequalities in society have a lot to do with multiple levels. For example, Im a woman of color born in a middle class home and raised in the inner city of Chicago. Being that I am a woman some might believe that my place is in the home. In addition coming from the inner city it adds to some of the discrimination I might have to endure. In the article there was an example of the home and how space and gender has a micro intersection. It talked about how minority woman enter into homes of upper-class and middle class whites as domestic helpers and they have the ability to gain from the experience. However, when whites enter into minority spaces, whites tend to carry on racial inequality. The way they could continue to carry it on could be by having a continued stereotypes of the race or not allowing themselves to understand the person versus judging.

Also, dealing with cities the book talked about how the middle class and working class have to pay most of the taxes and spend a higher part of income on housing. On the other hand upper-class benefit economically from banking, real estate, etc. this reminds me of the election now and how each candidate has a plan to either continue out the above statement or change it. John McCain wants to cut taxes for the larger businesses in hopes that the money will cycle back into the communities and help our economy. Were Barack wants to lower taxes for the middle class so that the gap between middle and upper classes can decrease. In this example class and space intersects to great a form of oppression.

Before reading this article on intersectionality I was not really opened to the fact that more then one social construction could influence oppression in a person’s life. For instance, being a white female however being raised in a low income neighborhood. Also, another example could be of a minority male growing up in a very rich area being discriminated against because of his race. I think when intersectionality is completely understood by others a lot of issues could be brought up and maybe even dealt with.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on intersectionality. Before this class, I also failed to see how the dynamics of one social sphere influenced another. I like Roy's analysis, which includes space and time, because it helped me to really grasp the concept.