« The Big Mean Ugly Government | Main | Video: The house we live in »

Race the Power of Illusion: The House we live in

Watching the last segment of the film "Race the Power of Illusion: The House we Live in" was like a slap in the face. The facts stated in the film made everyone realize the the racial wealth divide is real and has been since race was constructed. One thing in the film that stood out was the fact that America is called the melting Pot yet is not really the melting pot because no one is "equally spread out" in reality and the what comes with being human. There is no such thing as a single pure essence in America because no one is treated fairly, not even Whites when you think about it because they do not get their actual potential but privileges that were given to them.

I dislike the entire scientific racism theory because of the implications it has created in society. There are people that actually believe that science is what determines what race we belong to but that is not true and everyone should realize that if they are educated and not blinded by the hatred they evoke in themselves. It was like the use of scientific racism was also used to let racism continue in society because people do believe facts, people believe what science tells them because that is what we are conditioned to believe, things we read in books and what professionals tell us to believe. Now it seems that scientific racism is not the main fact that continues to let racism live, it's the geography factor that we do realize.

"Geography does the work of Jim Crow laws" which is true that it does just in a less explicit way yet we do see that people are separated in where they live based on their race. I'm from Milwaukee, WI and I see that everyday. We know where to find certain races in the North, West, South, and East. We know where everyone is located and go there to see or experience certain things. I've realized that at a young age but never really connected it to Jim Crow laws 40 years back until hearing someone speak about it on the film. We have inherited this concept of race into our lives today. We never asked to be separated by the color of our skin or the history of our ancestors, we never asked to have a racial wealth divide that continues to affect the process of advancement today. We never asked for it but we have to live with it until one day it does change and we can say that racism is slowing becoming non-existent. But that's not necessarily true either because racism will always be there just in a less explicit way, not of those back then when the N-word was used so frequently and signs were up everywhere prohibiting certain races from using those facilities but now separated by geography and space.

In conclusion I agree with one statement from the film that said that the only way to can change things is to accept race as what it is and get beyond racism. To be uncomfortable and not so used to they way things are now but willing to change your way of living; being color blind is not the way to go.

It reveals how nicely you understand this subject.

I agree as-well, Race and class are not solely put on the individuals of a society but are imbedded in the basic strings that hold society together. Going into this class I had no idea the depth in which race plays into our society. I just assumed racism was saying something inappropriate to people different to you. I never understood how ingrained it really is.

I completely agree. It was a slap in the face. The fact that racism was explicitly embedded in the laws and practices of the government is very shocking as well as disappointing.
Citizenship being offered to only "whites" at the court's discretion was one of the many form of oppressions that immigrants had to face. Seeing that video made me realize how far immigrants have come in this society and as an immigrant myself it was very personal because i can relate to what it's like to be a noncitizen and feel isolated from society. To have a feeling of not belonging.

I agree with you as well! The video helped me realize how racism is set up in our society. I think a lot of people don't see racism as what it is. I think we sometimes think that racism isn't a very big deal in our society because we don't know any people who are racist. But racism goes beyond just individual prejudices, it is embedded into our society. Like you said, racism is in geography. People of different races our separated into different parts of cities, or states. Like you said, We can't stop racism by being "colorblind," we need to accept race for what it is to help us move beyond racism.

I agree with you too! I also found the film to be very powerful and I also loved that statement from the film that said we need to accept race as a concept in order to get beyond it. Believing that we currently exist in a colorblind society will just lead to maintaining the inequality that already exists. If we recognize that race is attached to systematic inequality and not just to prejudice that happens between people we can begin to fix injustices our society has created and maintained.

I agree with you as well. The movie was a true eye opener. As one of our classmates commented in class today, one of the things that shocked me was the definition of "white". The supreme Court never truly defined what "white" meant, it first attempted to define "white" from a scientific standpoint but again changed when the view was challenged by the South Asian man who applied for citizenship.
Also, this created and maintained the social hierarchy of "whites" being on top as the most favored and all other racial groups on the bottom. It proved that race is truly, socially constructed. It is what it is, because of the meaning we give to it. How would America look like if we all equally melted with the pot?