« The voting process | Main | Land Rich, Dirt poor: Challenges to Asset building in Native America. reading ect. »

Sovereignty?

For this week readings we had to read an article about Native Americans “land rich and dirt poor�. This article baffles me and makes me very upset. After we take the land from Native Americans we then give them land and wealth that we govern, but its not like they control there assets, the federal government does. The federal government controls everything the Native American do on there land, be it gas prices or when and how the land is lease, everything is “held in trust� by the government, and is said that everything is in there best interest. The way the United States has treated Native Americans is really upsetting. Starting with the Allotment Act and then the boarding schools, all attempts to assimilate the native people, if anything they deserve to truly live in sovereignty and I believe leave in complete control of there own assets and wealth.

I agree with you to an extent. It is horrible what the government did and is currently doing to Native Americans. but if you look back in history it resembles all the other conquering and land expansions of the past. The only difference with ours is that it is happening in a time where human rights are more important and we strive for "equality" of all.

good points. i think its really bad how the reservation with casinos make a bad name for the rest because everyone thinks the indians all live on miion dollar res's. this is one example of how the discrimination is still going. however, i disagree that the us govt controls everything done on indian land. maybe the money, but not other things such as repremanding criminal acts on indian property, the fact that crimes committed may be followed up by the tribe, not the us judicial system. just something to consider!

I agree with you. What American government did to Native Americans was terrible and unjust; However there are many problems for total sovereignty for American Indian Tribes. One is economic; there is practically no independent economy on many reservations like farms, plants and so on, except casinos. US government needs to help reservations become self sustaining communities but I don’t think that is desirable for USA since the instability of economy at the reservations is used as a lever or control. So I think that the term sovereign in this case does not apply to reservations, it is more like autonomous state than a sovereign state. But it would help a lot if Native American nations cooperated with each other in trade and other economic issues.

I agree with your post in that the way the US has treated Native Americans...it's a real eye opener. I think that people in American assume that America is such a great country because of the opportunity it offers and the amount of foreigners who want to live here but, they seem to not have a clue about their country's own history on oppressing people of color within their land. The articles in the Color of Wealth really do show America's thoughts on regard to power and assimilation.

Native Americans and Sovereignty do not go together. Our federal government has ripped land away from them and forced them to relocate to specified Indian reservations (allotment Act). Our government has tried to dissemble their families and tried to enforce the American culture on them (Boarding School Act). Basically, the government has enacted many measures which have put the control of NAtive Americans in the government's control rather than the control of NAtive Americans. Even today our government is doing the same things. Our class had a discussion on Tuesday over the issue of lake Millacs and Native control. We are still trying to control Native Americans by telling them when they are allowed to fish on their own lands! I understand that their practices have caused the fish population to decrease, but what they do on their land is up to them. If we continue to try to do things like telling them when to fish, we aren't respecting their sovereignty.

The readings required for this class are truly eye openers. I'll admit that I hadn't read very many until the test had rolled around yesterday, but they truly do shed light, specifically on how things have came to be in regards to power, wealth distribution and inequality.

It is quite compelling when reading about the several treaties and acts, that white settlers had adopted a doctrine of 'may we purchase your land' and if refused, 'well, we're taking it anyways'. As we continue to read more material and go through readings, we begin to uncover exactly how a social construct of white priority had been manifested.

Although this is to say, if they hadn't taken the land from the Indians, would there be a chance that I would be sitting here at this very moment on a Friday afternoon in Minneapolis blogging about it?