« Life and Debt in Jamaica: | Main | Injustice? ok...what's next? »

This Course...

From taking this course, I have gained a lot of insight into how society was, and is, constructed. As I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, before this class I had never considered race, class, and gender as anything other than "the ways things are." After having read all the materials and watching the in-class videos, I have a totally different perspective on things. I view others differently; I no longer describe people's race when am telling others about my experiences. I have also reconstructed my views on class, gender and sexuality.
Now, I do like nice things and want a lot out of life, but I don't correlate that with class anymore. Class is, for the most part, a figment of our imagination. I actually laugh at people who think their "high" class. As far as gender goes, I still enjoy being the women of the houes which includes cooking, cleaning and caring for my son, but I have a much better understanding of where "womens' roles" came from. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel these are ONLY my roles, my man does these things too, I just do them more frequently (and I probably enjoy doing them more too.)
Because of this class, I analyze many of the people, norms, and policies I come across just about everyday. I find myself telling others about these social constructions and how they have impacted my life as well. Even though I thought this course and the material could have been presented in a more intriguing manner, I am glad I took this course. My favorite part was watching the videos; they really helped to put things to to perspective for me. "Life and Debt in Jamaica" helped me to see how globalization, trade policies, and power all intersect and form greater disparities across the world. "Murder on a Sunday" and "When the Levies Broke" helped me to see the government's role in maintaining systems of inequality. Overall, I feel this course is one that students should be required to take; such a condition would help in our struggle for a fair and equal world.

Sorry for the huge review, but I'm really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it's the right choice for you.

Like you said ,this class has thought me a lot.I have different views on many issues than I had before taking the class.The biological basis of race is one example.Before I took this class I thought race has a lot to do with biology.Now,I know that two individuals from the same "race" are more likely to have different sequence of genes that two individuals of different "races".Moreover,I used to blame African Americans for most of the problems they are facacing now(eg. poverty).But now I see how the historical discrimination they have suffered during slavery and after perpetuates the racial wealth gap in this country.
So,over all, this class has been a very educational one although it was harder and quite demanding than I thougt it was going to be.