« Life and Debt | Main | Budget Making »

Turning a [Black] Blind Eye on [Our] Red Problem!

"Because of our homosexuality the Black community casts us as outsiders. We are the poor relations, the proverbial black sheep, without a history, a literature, a religion, or a community" (Gender Talk, 174).
~Joseph Beam, gay activist writer

For my final paper, I will be writing on the contributions, to homophobia discourse, of Black Nationalism and the Black Church. I will show how these two communities expose the greater Black community to homophobia by comments. From rappers utterances of "faggot," to Fire and Brimstone Reverends judging deeming homosexuals to hell! Furthermore, I will demonstrate the blind-eye aspects of this wide-spread oppression; by these prominent figures within the Black community focusing on the dehumanization of a sector of its community, they are blinding most of its people from "actual problems."

For example: HIV/AIDS within the Black community. I watched a documentary on HIV/AIDS, namely A Closer Walk, and did some research. It stated following:

~AIDS is the leading killer of African Americans aged 25-49 years old.
~50% of all new AIDS cases are African Americans
~About 60% of all women infected with HIV/AIDS, are African American women.

Question: Is the hatred of a people-homosexuals- more important to US (Blacks and their allies) than given our people life, by acknowledging this nuisance called HIV/AIDS?

It hurts my heart to know my mother, 8 younger sisters, my cousins, Aunt, grandmother, great-grandmother, friends, great aunts, and the rest of my family, including myself, are all up against such a destroyer.

A great many people within the African American community chooses to write HIV/AIDS off as a "gay disease." If you look at the aforementioned statistics, you will read: "About 60% of all women infected with HIV/AIDS, are African American women." In no way am I glamorizing this fact, however we as a community needs to re-write our priorities.

This stigma is secretly destroying the Black community! Rev. Emmanuel Cleaver described one of his AIDS-ridden cousin's last moment on earth (A Closer Walk): "He was so ashamed to go to his own Church. He went to an abandoned apartment, and wrapped himself in a blanket to die." This man's was so afraid to seek help from his own church, because of the stigma within the Black Church, and the greater Black community.

It is about time we act! Not just act-we need to start talking! There's a man named Ron McMillian Kansas City. He and his associates talk tables to busy blocks, and hand out contraceptives, and other preventative/safer-sex related materials. He talked about how he did not judge people's actions. He referenced how he gave pimps condoms, despite his personal objections to their personal actions.

It is about time the Black community adopt Ron McMillian's ideology. This HIV/AIDS can be tamed; if and only if, out Black Nationalists and the Black Church cease to preach/promote Black homophobia, and move towards a unified movement against homophobia-as the late, Mrs. Coretta Scott King suggested. Furthermore, by unifying and not promoting this oppression of our own people, we will grow stronger in HIV/AIDS awareness, and a cure for AIDS!!!!!

This paper seems interesting and would be fun to read. I did a similar paper in my geography class on AIDS in Uganda. I found a lot of similar stats for the Us and it was alarming. We do need to speak up about HIV AIDS and education about the facts is the best way to spread the word. I also appreciate how you were an activist in class as well, like when you wore your Red shirt and spoke to the class about the meetings. It is important to have a peer talk to individuals because we are more likely to listen to someone our age then one of older generations.

Wow...this one is really hard to swallow...60%? It is quite ironic that Africans Americans who make up less than 15% of the U.S population account for over 50% of new AIDS cases. why? how? Rather than coming together to fight this "slow poison", we find comfort in pointing the finger. We really do have a long way to go. Sad...sad...sad!!!

I concur.

Also, please do not forget about the other modes of transmission:

1. Contaminated needles.
2. Mother-to-child transmission.

I think it is great that you are acknowledging this epidemic, because it really is a problem that needs to be addressed. We have yet to develop a cure and the best thing to do to prevent it is practicing safe sex and education of this disease.