Leo's Page

13 NOVEMBER 2012
Thus far everyhting has been moving quite smoothly as the group has a pretty solid idea of the track we're on the ground we would like cover in our presentation. I am doing pretty well with research and have aquainted myself sufficiently enough with the Early Modern Period (specifically 1713 to 1723) and will continue to dig deeper as the proess continues. I've come to learn that the era in which we will be discussing Baroque Italian Opera, the foreign rule of Italy had shifted from Spain to Austria, and this was during the time of the Early Modern Period when capitalism started to bloom in the Northern sections of Italy. I plan on going to a library off- campus to find some more specifics on this form opera in some books as Wilson has nothing relating to this theatre form and Ferguson does not cover the historical aspects of the reseach needed for this project. So far the research for this project has been more basic, and as I continue to ganar up sources I plan on branching more specifically and in depth with my research. My next step to make sure that my reseach extends beyond Vivaldi and that go on to collect information on th social and political aspects of the time, and that I go into the collaborators of Vivaldi and the impact they had on Baroque Italian Opera.

19 NOVEMBER 2012
My research is a great deal more rounded and in depth now than it was a couple days ago. I know for sure what particular sources I will be using and have started digging in on them for practice presentations. By now, I have solidated what information needs to stay and that information which needs to be weeded out, along with how I plan on molding my research with my group. We have all been in talk and discussion on what needs to be incorporated and how we plan on fusing our research together for sake of flow within a common goal and argument. The next step for me is to continue to dig even deeper and to focus on making the preparation toward the presentation as clear as possible.

26 NOVEMBER 2012
Delving into specifics, for the group presentation this week I have crafted a way in which I am going to tie historical context back to the argument that Baroque Italian Opera was heavily influenced by the structure of the time--though Baroque was more of a rebellion. My research has led me to pull pieces together and I have grown to realize that Baroque took some hundred of years to form within itself. Italy's people during the eighteenth century needed be under such heavy structure and governance for so long of a period to where Baroque art finally burst forth as one of the only art forms of that time going against government. I have come to learn that without fall of the Lutheran church (the happening of the Protestant Reformation) -- the Early Modern Period would have never formed--- and without the Early Modern Period there would have been no need for art to rebel against the government because there would have been no governance over art to that extent hence, there would have been nothing known as Baroque Italian Opera. This reinforces the point that my group and I will make in our presentation that Baroque is definitely more of a style than it is a "genre" of music.

I will be informing the class this Thursday of the class structure of the period as well and how that during this time in Italy --- you had a great majority of people that were poor and then you had the few noble rich. With the exception of certain Italian towns such as Milan, where there was a well developed industry and no noble class of any kind living in those areas---that is where the establishment of a middle/working class took place as the people had somewhere to work and something to work for. I will be touching on the Council of Trent in my presentation and how it was this meeting that took place long before eighteenth century Italy where the Roman Catholic Church got together to decide which was to be considered acceptable in society based on biblical standards. Only the Church had not actually been basing much of anything off of biblical standards but rather their biased interpretation of the bible concerning what should be allowed in society and what shouldn't. These are some of the specifics of my research that I will be including for my presentation this Thursday.

3 DECEMBER 2012
Our presentation I felt as though went very well and everybody's individual homework in the end seemed to pay off. I feel as though my group did a solid job of relaying our individual studies to the audience for the sake of tying all of our elements together in the end for a strong and solid argument. The one thing that could have worked better for us was our transitions from speaker to speaker---as that proved to have been a little rocky at times. Watching the other presentations I was able to learn a lot as everyone's specific genre of theater was obviously well researched and well rounded to the point where there was information that co-related to the historical context of Baroque Italian Opera. The Yoruban Ritual group did very well in particular I thought, as they made sure that they were very articulate when it came to breaking down what this form of theater was ---but they did more than that---Collectively as a group, they made this theater form understandable and comprehensive to those as myself who had never heard of it before. I feel as though all groups did this, but for some such as my own, being that their was such a large scope of information to cover--transitioning seemed to deem itself a challenge as sometimes whoever was speaking could get too caught up in focusing in on their primary area of focus and miss out on setting up a smooth introduction for the next person. Overall, I feel as though my group did quite a solid job and I am confident in our work because we worked hard.

Leo,

You're doing a good job to both document some specifics of your individual reserach and your process as a researcher. You've found some really useful info about the politics of the Early Modern Period and the rise of capitalism. Consider how this factors into a discussion of Vivaldi. How does the rise of capitalism perhaps link with (or contrast) Vivaldi's rise as a composer? Was he writing music to fulfill the market's need, or was he under the patronage of someone?

Your second entry indicates that you have a lot more specific information, but I would like to see you document this in a little more detail. What were some of the interesting sources that you've found? What questions did they raise? Are there historiographic concerns that you're realizing through this research process. Look for a little bit more depth and specificity in future journal entries.

Bryan

Leo,

These are great, thorough blog entries. I especially like how your third entry begins to think through specific overarching ideas about Baroque and its significance as a rebellious art form. To play devil's advocate, I want to push back no this notion that without the fall of the Lutheran church, there would have been no need for rebellious art because there wouldn't have been so much government restriction on art. There are art forms that are considered "rebellious" in all ages, even in times that are relatively "free" such as today (consider punk rock or rap). Things become really interesting when these once rebellious forms of art turn into the establishment like Baroque. The questions are, why does this happen, and how does the form change from its initial conception? How, for instance, does the punk genre change when you have some of their groups become massively popular?

Good job at articulating specifics of what you felt the Yoruba group did well. Consider how you might adopt strategies of theirs that you liked into future projects.

Great work overall!

Bryan

Final Grade: 94%