Assignment1

I'm really glad that I decided to come home this weekend, because this would have been difficult to do in the dorms!

My final product is something like an apple empanada. A cinnamon cookie folded over an apple slice with cinnamon and brown sugar inside. I won't claim that these are radically innovative, but at the time I felt that folding the cookie and using a large piece of fruit - rather than small pieces mixed in - was innovative. Some research on the Internet proved me wrong. It's been done before. Or, at least making a cookie with an apple slice inside has been done before. Nonetheless, they do taste good. So... novel = maybe, valuable = yes, feasible = yes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s Cookie1.jpg The dough recipe is taken from a cookbook, although I modified it slightly and added Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

• 1c flour
  • 1/2c sugar
  • 1/2c Cinnamon Toast Crunch
  • 1/4c butter
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 3T milk
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1/4t baking powder
  • 1/4t salt

+ 1 apple, sliced into 1/2 rings
+ cinnamon and brown sugar, sprinkled inside.

Now, I had initially tried to be much more creative with my recipe. I started thinking of curry cookies, but quickly found that curry is not a completely unique cookie flavor on its own. So, I turned to BBQ, I thought that the smokey flavor could bring a lot to cookie flavor, so I quickly found some smoked paprika, BBQ seasoning, golden raisins, and hickory syrup.

My first attempt looked like this:

Cookie2.jpg

And they eventually congealed into a viscous mass in the middle that was reminiscent of a sea sponge.

Next I used more flour, added baking soda, and removed the syrup (they weren't as dark as they look in this photo):

Cookie3.jpg

For my final entry in the BBQ cookie saga, I added more flour, less sugar, less butter, and added an egg. The result looked like a scone:

Cookie4.jpg

All of these BBQ cookies had a distinctly smokey flavor, but none were satisfying. I gave in and went back to the drawing board. I wondered what how a cookie with a full slice of apple would be. I made a few test runs:
Cookie5.jpg

And then the winning ideas came together for the aforementioned recipe1

Thank you for not doing curry (it seemed to be a popular flavor). I think finding a way to make the BBQ work would have been more interesting, though your end result does sound tasty. Maybe even a cookie that works with BBQ as a dip or drizzled on part way through the baking process. Going off the scone, perhaps using something like what you had with mashed baked beans in the dough and some bacon grease or cubed ham mixed in to go with the smokey flavor...and now I am hungry.

Both ideas you are proposing here are interesting. I wish you could've made both :)!
I saw your blog post the night before class, and I was excited to try the folded cookie. I wonder how folding it worked!
There is a jump from your last picture posted in the blog and your final cookie "presentation wise". Which makes it a little confusing to link the last image with the very first image (your final product). maybe use the first image again at the end to indicate that it came after experimentation.
The taste of the cookies was really good. The only downside of it was that the cookie was very moist (which is very normal when baking with fruit :/) my suggestion to this is that it is better baked fresh and served!
Fall is the perfect time for this cookie!

Sarah

The cookie itself taste pretty good.
I almost hoped that you would invest more on the BBQ cookie idea, it's just very different and I would never thought of making a BBQ cookie. I feel you could even work more with the scone, which you end up with for your third attempt. if you could try to put some stuffing (other food or sauce) in the cookie dough and bake it, it might end up being a stuffed scone. Anyway, the apple empanada turned out good. But like what Sarah has pointed out, the folded cookie felt like it's not being fully baked, it's just very moisturized because of the apple slice.

Cindy