Play the dice smartly; market research is in your hands

Dice Patricio Pagani Fotolia_32949553_XS.jpg

How does question framing impact your research? This article aligns exactly with our class discussions. How we word the questions we are asking are participants is crucial to gaining accurate results. Especially when looking at international surveys because different cultures and different meanings.
One common problem with wording includes leading questions. When researchers force respondents or lead them to a particular answer. This can lead to inaccurate results. An example of a leading question: Why do you think this company is unethical?
Another problem with writing question wording is double-barreled questions, which means that the there are two questions being asked in one, but they are only looking for one answer. An example would be, "Do you think Murphy Hall is an asset to the campus, or should it be demolished?
Another problem is negative wording. An example of negative wording would be, "A course in statistics should not be required as part of the English major." The solution to this question would be to frame this question in the positive.
So what does this mean to me? This shows me that even when I'm making simple survey questions, I need to check and double check that my questions make sense.
In my personal opinion, it is very difficult to make unbiased or leading questions. In order to be a successful, questions must not influence the participants answers.

I like how our textbook says, "If it can be misinterpreted, it will be."

Source: http://www.greenbook.org/marketing-research.cfm/online-market-research-is-in-your-hands-40562