« Nagilthes Muthu-Increasing the life span of polymer solar cell | Main | Shengsi Liu_Analytical Problem_CO detection in post combustion fuel »

Zahidah Marzuki-Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) in insecticide aerosol

Insecticide aerosol is commonly used in Malaysia. Every household in Malaysia uses insecticide aerosol almost everyday especially in some rural areas. It is known that liquefied petroleum gas is one of the chemicals present in an aerosol as to replace the use of CFC. However, LPG is slightly harm to our health and environment. But, the frequent use of insecticide aerosol might be harmful to health if no precautions taken. Some serious cases, inhalation of too much LPG will cause asphyxiate, which not everyone are aware of. Therefore, my analytical problem is to determine the amount of LPG in insecticide aerosol so as to control the amount of the insecticide that can be used and accordingly. The matrix would be the solvent that is used to dissolve LPG in the insecticide aerosol, where kerosene is one of it.

MSDS of LPG: www.hvacredu.net/gas-codes/module2/LPG_MSDS.pdf

S Prasad, Ruchi Singh, Rajesh Manocha, M Narang, BD Sharma, P Rajwanshi, B Gupta. Acute Massive Rhabdomyolysis Due to Inhalation of LPG. JAPI. 2009, 57, 472-473.

Similar Analytical Problem:

Lauren Saurer - Vapor Intrusion in Building

Hypothesis: trichloroethylene and tetrachloroethylene are released to the environment due to improper disposal.
Analytes: trichloroethylene and tetrachloroethylene
Matrix: air
Relevance: health and environment

Similarity: our studies focus on the quality of indoor air and focuses on to quantitatively determine the presence of analyte of interest in the indoor air of affected surrounding.

Difference: her analytes of interest are single compounds whereas my analyte might have different composition from different sample depending on the manufacturer. So, in my study, I need to identify the characteristic of my analyte in the samples first before I'm able to quantitatively determine the analyte.

BLOG 10

My preferred technique is gas chromatography with split flame ionization/ electron capture detection. Other analytical problems that use same techniques "Silicones in Cosmatics" by Melissa which uses GC/MS, "Vapor Intrusions in Building" by Lauren which uses GC/FTMS, and "Butanol Production from Clostridia Fermentation" by David which uses GC with FID detector.

Blog 13? -1 pt.

BLOG 10

My most preferred technique for investigating my analytical problem is gas chromatography combined with mass spectrometry because my analytes are very volatile. Other analytical problems that uses the same technique are "Silicones in Cosmetics" by Melissa, "Vapor Intrusion in Buildings" by Lauren, and "Butanol Production from Clostridia Fermentation" by David.

Blog 9. Good answers.
Blogs 10 and 11? (-1 pt each).

BLOG 9

Gas chromatography would be my first choice to separate my analyte from other components. This is because my analyte is very volatile and the concentration varies from different sample. My analyte also have a very low m/z thus will produce fragments with m/z less than 40 m/z. Based on previous method, the column used is 60m X 0.53mm i.d. fused silica capillary coated with SPB-1 (5 micrometer) (Supelco). Column conditioning: program from 30C to 260C with carrier flow at 2C/min and hold for 16hr. The carrier gas was helium with flow rate 8.6 mL/min. The suitable detector is dual FID/Ni constant current ECD (SGE outlet splitter system OSS-2, split ratio is approximately 5:1)

Source:
R.J. Flanagan, P.J. Streete, J.D. Ramsey. Volatile Substance Abuse: Practical Giudelines for Analytical Investigation of Suspected Cases and Interpretation of Results.

Blog 8? (-1 pt)

Blog 6? (-1 Pt)
Blog 7? (-1 Pt)

Blog 4 (-1 pt), Blog 5 (-1 pt)?

BLOG 2 - posting? (-1 pt)

BLOG 3. Part (b) - What studies are common for your and Lauren's analytical problem? (-0.25 pt)

Part (c) - Do you imply that once you identify the analytes of interest the studies will be the same? I believe that there are other different studies that she will need to do. Discuss with her. (-0.15 pt)

The description of the problem is fine. What is your hypothesis? Clearly state it. You may be mentioning in the text, but it is not clearly stated. (-0.1 pt).