« Friday Office Hour for 10/21 and 10/28 | Main | Answers to Suggested Homeworks »

Mass Spec Facilities - Visit, October 26, 2011

Mass Spec Facilities Visit - 2011.pdf

Date: October 26, 2011
Time: 8:15 to 8:45
Location: 191C Kolthoff Hall
Facility Director: Dr. Joe Dalluge

Similar to seminars, bonus points will be given to those posting in the blog after attendance to this facility visit.

Answer only one of the questions below.

1. What ionization sources are available?
2. What mass analyzers exist in the facility?
3. What instruments are interfaced with HPLC or other separation techniques?
4. What are projects currently using the facilities?
5. Are there any other ionization sources or mass analyzers in the facility that we did not cover in class?
6. What instrument(s) at the facility can be used to investigate your analytical problem?
7. If none of the instruments at the facility is suitable to investigate your analytical problem, what instrument would you say is needed to investigate your analytical problem.
8. What questions do you have that were not answered?

Revy, I have updated my records and marked that you went on the mass spec fac. tour. Thanks for letting me know.

Dear Prof.Arriaga,
I was just wondering why my name was not listed in the MS spectrometry tour on your comment on October 29, 2011 8:28 pm. I did go to the MS tour on that day and have left a comment to answer one of the questions for the seminar.

Thank you.

Revy Saerang

I have recorded that Melissa, Megan, Zahidah, Rajvi, Heidi, John, Ian, lauren, Andrew X., Andrew X., and Joe attended the MS tour.

1) The ionization sources that the mass spec lab uses are electrospray ionization and MALDI.

6. I could use the time of flight ms for my analytical problem because of its high resolution to 3 or 4 decimal places for identifying smaller molecules. I could also use the Q-TOF to help create a more linear calibration curve for my analytes. For both these instruments electrospray ionization would be ideal.

The only question I had from the mass spec tour was what is the difference is between Ultra Phase Liquid Chromatography and High Performance Liquid Chromatography?

Answering question 6:

After touring the facility there were a number of devices I could use for my analysis. Specifically the Triple quads and Quadrapole-Time of Flight mass specs. When coupled with the UPLC systems it makes analysis time shorter, more rapid, and sensitive. This is important to my analyticcal problem since it can help reduce matrix noise (since I have food extracts), and separate similar analytes.

6) the UPLC coupled with the triple quadrupole would be useful for my analytical problem due to its ability to separate out mixtures in a solution and then give a quantitative determination of the analyte.

The mass analyzers that exist in the facility included the quadrupole and the TOF.

The mass spectroscopy lab uses quadrupole, time of flight, and combinations of the two such as triple quadrupole time of flight or quadrupole time of flight.

The mass analyzers that exist in the facility include time of flight mass analyzer and quadrupole mass analyzer.

3. The mass spec lab has a triple quadrupole MS with UPLC (ultra-performance liquid chromatography) and a quadrupole time-of-flight MS with UPLC. These usually use reversed-phase chromatography (nonpolar stationary phase).

Ionization sources available are the electron ionization, chemical ionization, electrospray ionization, and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI).

The mass spec lab uses ESI and MALDI as ionization sources.

The mass spec lab uses time of flight, quadrupole, triple quadrupole and Q-TOF (quadrupole/time of flight) mass analyzers.