« Cole Storer: Sahara Reflection | Main | Cole Storer: Sahara Reflection »

Cole Storer: Sahara Reflection

Out of the six categories, I think the movie touched mainly on the nature of the enemy and the fighting forces. Although we are shown that we are backed by the United Nations and British forces, that is not the main focus of the movie. When the soldiers shoot down the Nazi plane and capture the pilot , he is immediately shown as a liar, a cheater and a thief. The Italian prisoner of war is a coward who hides instead of helping the axis soldiers in the battle. Even the pilot of the plane tries to alert his fellow troops of the Allies' movements. Right from the get go, I felt like instead of making the United States look good, the movie was trying to bash the opposing side. So in that aspect it does have apects other than "Rah Rah USA" because although it depicts our strength and honor, it also bashes the axis forces in an attempt to make us look better.

I feel like the film accurately represented how race was viewed in our country at the time. For instance, the character Sgt. Major Tambul, although he is a Sgt. in the military, acts completely inferior to the other soldiers. In all actuality all of the other soldiers, besides Capt. von Schletow and Sgt. Joe Gunn, ought to have acted with inferiority towards Tambul. The fact that there aren't any women characters is kind of hypocritical to me. The US government was trying to get the women of our nation to join the war effort by becoming nurses aides or working in the factories, yet they had no role whatsoever in the movie. I think it distracts from the film's persuasive purposes because it gives no credit to women or to segregated blacks. why would they want to contribute if they know they're going to get no recognition?