« Chris Lewis Double Indemnity | Main | Yu Katayama »

Film Noir Jeff Tow Arnett

I believe that film noir is a genre, which captures viewers through its twisted characters and surreal mood. Film noir reverses the order in which Americans are accustomed to seeing movies. Film noir has a continuing theme in their productions such as certain darkness, artistic quality through flashbacks, mysterious lighting and shadow effects, and overall plot that is unusual and twisted. In the article by James Naremore, Borde and Chaumeton are intrigued by the way film noir has "revived the theme of violence". One of the major accomplishments of the series, they observe, is to replace the melodramatic combat of arms between hero and villain (the swordplay at the climax of a swashbuckler, the gun duel at the end of a Western, etc.) with a richly elaborated "ceremony of killing." After watching Double Indemnity and learning about what film noir is, I would agree more with what Borde and Chaumeton said about my film noir is intriguing to audiences. A couple of days after watching Double Indemnity I was trying to put my finger on what about this genre of movie did I find so fascinating. After looking back at the readings another quote from Borde and Chaumeton I highlighted, perfectly put into words why film noir was fascinating to me. According to Borde and Chaumeton “True films of the type, not only take place "inside the criminal milieu," but also represent "the point of view of criminals". Such films are "moral" in an approximately surrealist sense: instead of incorruptible legal agents, they give us shady private eyes, crooked policemen, murderous plainclothes detectives, or lying district attorneys (pg. 19)?. Classic film noir first person narratives and flashbacks along with its surrealist qualities like bizarre, erotic and cruelness make it into its own genre.