« Woodstock-Liz Eisler | Main | Cameron Lee »

Woodstock- Courtney Marlow

As I began watching the documentary, my first thoughts about the 3-day concert was disgusting, outrageous, and over the top. I would never want to live that kind of lifestyle. But as I continued to watch, I realized that the people who organized the event put a lot of time and effort into the production. It was not an event to make profit, rather it was a thoughtful get-together targeted toward one thing: peace.
I think a lot of the documentary is based on the lifestyle of young people during this time period. Although much of the behavior is extreme and radical, a lot of it can be considered normal of that age group. For example, the Woodstock-goers were carefree and curious. They wanted to experiment with drugs and alcohol, and they wanted to fulfill their sexual curiosities. This is normal of young people still today. I think this is just a case of extreme experimentation. I am not surprised by the radical behavior that took place at Woodstock because it consisted almost the entire counter culture of the United States. All of these people gathered here for the same reason; they wanted to feel love and peace throughout, and many did this through the use of marijuana and LSD. Although this counter culture probably didn’t act this way in everyday life, the passion elicited from the music was intensified through the use of drugs. And in this case, the more the merrier.
Since music is such a major form of communication, it makes sense that an event such as Woodstock would be a form of protest during the time period. However, I think that Woodstock, and the events that took place there, give rock music somewhat of a negative connotation. The idea of ‘sex, drugs, and rock and roll’ really rings true for Woodstock. I think that Woodstock was a great initiative with positive ideas, but the party that it became was a poor representation of rock music. If I were to only associate rock music with the Woodstock festival, I would definitely think of it as negative and destructive. The people present at Woodstock, as shown in the documentary, definitely represent the stereotype of rock music- the idea of young, careless people using drugs and acting out.
So, I think that Woodstock had a positive message to send to the United States, but it may have been a bit too extreme. I feel that it was a great experience full of passion and insights for those in attendance, but the United States as a whole saw it as an outrageous and shameful gathering of the young counter culture, a sorry excuse to act out.