China: a New Kind of Protest(Labor Movement)

I chose this article because it discusses a specific example of Chinese workers protesting at their factory in China. It also describes this "new" Chinese labor movement and the problems that face its success. This is one topic that I have always been interested in because the United States imports so many goods from China.

Continue reading "China: a New Kind of Protest(Labor Movement)" »

Struggling 'Through Hell and High Water'

This article maybe a little old and at times make you reminise, but I think it gets to the point at the end. It is about the U.N.'s Fourth World Conference on Women in China during 1995. A parallel conference was organized by NGOs but many women seeking to attend found their visa had complications and/or blocked. The Chinese Government took precautions against expected protests, including naked protests. The bug spray I thought was a nice touch.

Continue reading "Struggling 'Through Hell and High Water'" »

China's people must rise up with nonviolent tactics

I thought that this article was interesting because it I found it in the Christian Science Monitor online, which I wasn't expecting. I didn't really know what the CSM talked about, but I assumed christian beliefs, I didn't expect to see in it an article advising the people of China how to protest their government non-violently.

Continue reading "China's people must rise up with nonviolent tactics" »

This article is interesting because it is not about a specific incident of nonviolence, but rather it is an advocacy of the use of it in China, while citing instances as well as reasons for it. It is an attempt by a credible source to give validity to the movement.

Björk's Tibet protest offends Chinese fans

First Steven Spielberg upset China's internet users after resigning as adviser to the Olympics over Darfur. Now Björk is under attack after shouting "Tibet! Tibet!" at the end of her song Declare Independence at a concert in Shanghai.

Continue reading "Björk's Tibet protest offends Chinese fans" »

Monk Protests in Tibet Draw Chinese Security

BEIJING — Chinese security forces were reportedly surrounding three monasteries outside Lhasa, the Tibetan capital, on Thursday after hundreds of monks took to the streets this week in what are believed to be the largest Tibetan protests against Chinese rule in two decades.

Continue reading "Monk Protests in Tibet Draw Chinese Security" »

China Frowns on Patriotic Protests

Locals hold Chinese national flags as they shout slogans outside a Carrefour supermarket in Qingdao, Shandong province

Continue reading "China Frowns on Patriotic Protests" »

Tiananmen Square Demonstrates for Democracy

Post your entries on China by 5pm on Mon, Oct 13th.

mantank.jpg

China: 40 missing children parents' petition journey in Beijing

i found this article on a blog called global voices. It seemed very interesting and it provides a good view of how the media in china limits what is and is not shown on television.This news about 40 parents petition in Beijing for their missing children has been censored by the mainstream media and major news portal in the Internet in China. Beifeng re-posts one of the parents' first person account of the petition in his blog and urges readers to spread the news.

Continue reading "China: 40 missing children parents' petition journey in Beijing" »

Chinese Protesters Return to Streets after Olympics

"Middle classes stage peaceful but disruptive protest against pollution as restrictions imposed during Games are eased." Everyone knows that the environmental standards in Beijing were very high before the Games started, so it is not surprising that after the Games, all the environmental laws and new standards would go right out window because they were so strict. It is surprising however, that the Chinese people are standing up to the government and shouting for better air quality for their families, because traditionally, the Chinese government has been so strict on what its citizens can do. I did not know that they could even protest.

Continue reading "Chinese Protesters Return to Streets after Olympics" »