Solidarity movement in poland

I have chosen this article because it covers a topic that i have not posted about and i think i may use it as my reserach topic for my paper. The entry is also about 28 years old so this will provide a wider range of years covered in my total blog. This article is about the first non-communist trade union in a communist country. In the 1980s it constituted a broad anti-communist social movement.

Continue reading "Solidarity movement in poland" »

Italians Are Against US Base extension

QuickPost | System Overview | Movable Type Publishing Platform

Most thought that there would be violence but peace provailed as thousands marched on a US base in Italy. Most were outraged that a foriegn army is still able to occupy the state. The other side is that the base provides jobs and a strong economic incentive.

Continue reading "Italians Are Against US Base extension" »

Doctor's hunger strike fails to win funds

My last blog entry was on a hunger strike. I thought to my self that it would be somewhat ironic and well funny if there has recently been a hunger strike with in the country of Hungary. I did find one story, and it highlighted the importance that one individual alone can have by hunger striking, and how failure is a part of the civil movement for change.

Continue reading "Doctor's hunger strike fails to win funds" »

Romanian autoworkers strike against rock-bottom wages

Around 10,000 workers at the Dacia works in Pitesti, Romania, have been on strike for two weeks. Employees at the subsidiary of the French automaker Renault are demanding wage increases of 42 percent, additional Christmas benefits and a share in the company profits.

Continue reading "Romanian autoworkers strike against rock-bottom wages" »

In Prague, Protests against a U.S. Missile Defense Deal

I was horrified to discover that the United States (Bush) is attempting to set up a nuclear missile defense base in Czechoslovakia to protect us from the clear 'threat' Russia poses. I am however glad to hear that the Czech people are protesting this. One protest that got caught my attention was two people staging a hunger strike until the issue is opened to public discussion.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/world/2008/05/27/in-prague-protest-against-a-us-missile-defense-deal.html

Continue reading "In Prague, Protests against a U.S. Missile Defense Deal" »

Commonwealth of Independent States: Shining the light on Human Trafficking

i have chosen this article to create some diversity within the blog, since we are supposed to use a diverse range of topics. This article focuses on women's rights in Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. It just shows that being an activist for something you believe needs to change can make a difference.

Continue reading "Commonwealth of Independent States: Shining the light on Human Trafficking" »

New Russian youth movement sets out manifesto

I found this article extremely intriguing. the line "intends to eleminate the 'regime of oligarchic capitalism'" caught my eye at first, and the article doesn't disappoint.

Continue reading "New Russian youth movement sets out manifesto" »

Serb Demonstrators Seige Bridge

Post your entries from Eastern Europe by 5pm on Mon, Sept 29th.

460mitro.jpg

Polish Protests of 1970

View image
The Polish 1970 protests were anti-communist protests that occurred in northern Poland in December 1970. The protests were sparked by a sudden increase of prices of food and articles of daily use. In the result of the riots, brutally pacified by the Polish People's Army and the Citizen's Militia, at least 42 people were killed and more than 1,000 wounded.

Continue reading "Polish Protests of 1970" »

Polish Protest of 1970

polish 1970.jpg

Continue reading "Polish Protest of 1970" »

Poland: Protest Over Economy

Polish people protested their government's policies on economics. Their unemployment had skyrocketed which was the major concern.

Continue reading "Poland: Protest Over Economy" »

Local ecologists protest road through virgin forest

Environmentalists, birdwatchers, and wildlife activists are putting thier bodies in between viirgin forest and construction crews to attempt to halt the construction of a major motorway through a valley of forest that has never been logged or replanted.

Continue reading "Local ecologists protest road through virgin forest" »

Polish scientists fight creationism

In this article members of the majority party in Poland, including the deputy education minister, have been advocating for the teaching of creationism and calling evolution a lie. Members of the party have been protested against for various reasons since it came into office, but with this recent act it has pushed more intellectuals into protesting against parts of their government's opinion. This is an issue that could still reemerge here.

Continue reading "Polish scientists fight creationism" »