Birth Defects: Pfeiffer

I recommend that you watch the video before you keep reading...

I personally found this video really inspiring. Pfeiffer, three-and-a-half at the time, is such a sweetheart and is so innocent. He has zero shame in his deformity and I love that. When I was younger I was super self-conscious about mine, so I love seeing something like this showing that it's okay to be different.

Now that I'm older, I've learned to accept my deformity and take it for what it is. If I don't accept how I am how could I expect others to? I'm also progressively becoming more like Pfeiffer and his family, very open to the situation and even more so open to questions that anyone may have.

I also enjoyed reading the comments following the video. There were so many people grateful to see someone with a birth defect just like them. Kind of to make them feel like they "belong" in a world where they find themselves to be the only one who is "different."

That's how I felt for a very long time.

And that is why I've always been incredibly involved in activities outside of school, to get that sense that I belonged to something greater when I was alone.

That later transformed into me challenging myself to overcome my own birth defects and my own negative mentality.

And that then too transitioned into just pure passion for what I do now. Enjoying life and every part of it, especially the people.

I've learned to live my life as someone who I will always be proud of. Someone my parents will be proud of. Someone my husband and children will be proud of.

To live life in the moment, and to never look back with regrets.

All because of my minor birth defect, I've learned so much about myself and life and people, that I just want to inspire others like Pfeiffer and his family did for me.

—— Mandi Beergoon