ASR monthly wrap-up

On May 31, Sue Van Voorhis sent the following monthly wrap-up to all ASR staff. A similar message will be sent at the end of each month highlighting some of ASR's accomplishments. If you have items you believe should be included in a wrap-up, email them to Sue.

Hello ASR staff,

Many of you have requested more regular updates about ASR projects and accomplishments, in addition to the information you receive in News & Notes. In response to your feedback, this note is the first monthly wrap-up of news and highlights from ASR's units. (You can expect to receive a similar email at the end of each month.) I know I will miss some things, but I hope you will let me know what they are so I can include them next time, even if they are a bit late.

Organizational changes
As you know, many organizational changes have already taken place in ASR or are underway. I sent an email on May 11 regarding these changes which you can read on the News & Notes blog. Work on the new student services center in Williamson is underway; you can expect ongoing updates as this initiative moves forward.

New scheduling software
We are in the process of selecting a vendor to replace our current centralized scheduling software (i.e., R25). Vendors were invited to demo their product last week. We hope to have a vendor selected this July. Our target implementation date is fall 2013.

Financial aid efficiencies
OSF implemented a change to eliminate duplicate data entry into the NCAA's Compliance Assistant system. OSF staff are hard at work on summer financial aid processes.

One Stop mobile
ASR-IT, One Stop, and communications staff are working on creating a mobile version for the One Stop website. They have surveyed University students to gain a better understanding of mobile One Stop needs and are continuing to refine the interface.

Presenting accomplishments
Every spring, I present a list of some of ASR's accomplishments to Bob McMaster, dean of undergraduate education. While I keep him apprised of our good work throughout the year, I provide Bob a more formal round-up of some of the highlights. We post these accomplishments on our website.

IntraSee Portal workshops
Last week, many ASR staff joined other University staff for a series of presentations by IntraSee, a company that takes out-of-the-box PeopleSoft portal and modifies it to meet the needs of a particular organization. These workshops are the beginning of a much larger and longer journey toward a re-implementation of the portal, an effort that is being led by One Stop's Julie Selander.

Performance appraisals
As many of you know, ASR supervisors have been hard at work completing performance evaluations for all staff. Supervisors submit appraisals to their unit director who read them and then send to me. I also read all staff performance appraisals to look for consistency across teams and units, as well as to ensure all staff receive a timely evaluation. It also helps me stay in touch with where all ASR staff are at in their professional development.

One final note: we will have our annual spring cleaning day on June 7. Recycling and shredding bins will be available. Mark your calendars for the afternoon to take care of your space.

These are just a few of the things that happened this month. If I've missed something you think others should know, send it my way so it can be included in either a monthly update or the next issue of News & Notes. We all work on a variety of tasks and each are critical to fulfilling our mission. I hope this monthly note will be an effective way for you to know what's going on.

As you know, our job responsibilities don't end when spring semester does-- I still have people ask me if I get my summers off because I work in education! We all know that summers can be some of our busiest times. As we begin another one, I hope you also take some time to enjoy the sunshine.

Sue