Ever wonder what your co-worker's favorite movie is or what they wanted to be when they grew up? Get the scoop on your ASR colleagues with our new individual profiles--The People in your Neighborhood. In the first of many ASR staff profiles, we present you Cheryl Johnson from the Office of Student Finance.
Cheryl grew up in Richfield and went to high school in Alexandria, MN. She's lived in Minnesota her entire life and has no intention of going anywhere else. "Why move?" Cheryl says, who is now a resident of Bloomington.
She has three grown children and "seven perfect grandchildren," who range in ages from 6 months to 12 years. All of her children and grandchildren live in the Twin Cities area, so she has the chance to see them regularly.
Cheryl loves sports, including biking, hiking, snowshoeing, and other outdoor activities. A few years ago, Cheryl and her husband completed the MS 150 bike race, a two day, 150 mile bike ride that starts in the Duluth and ends in the Twin Cities. To prepare, Cheryl and her husband trained for two months, biking 40-50 miles a day on the weekends. "The last two miles were a pill, but once you get to certain point, it's sheer willpower and determination to finish," she said. "I would absolutely do it again."
Pictures of Cheryl's favorite vacation spot, the North Shore, decorate her office in Fraser Hall. She enjoys hiking and snowshoeing there and recommends that potential North Shore visitors go to the Devil's Kettle waterfall and hike over to the Naniboujou Club Lodge to sip their french onion soup.
Cheryl once thought that she may want to be a fashion designer. Her mother used to sew, and Cheryl used to make her own clothes and her children's clothes.
But a design career was not meant to be. After accepting a job at St. Olaf College, where she worked for 22 years, Cheryl fell in love with higher education. She joined the ASR team three years ago. Her 25 years of experience in higher education have largely been in financial aid.
Cheryl is responsible for the independent/dependent student status verification process and also handles some Special Circumstances Appeals.
"I love feeling as though I'm helping other people achieve their educational goals," Cheryl said. "That's why I love higher education and why I've stayed. This is my dream job."
Fun facts about Cheryl:
1. Her favorite movie is A Man for All Seasons.
2. Her favorite book genres are biography and history.
3. Cheryl doesn't really watch much TV, except the news.
4. Her first concert was The Beatles at Metropolitan Stadium (where the Mall of America now stands).
5. She has her bachelor's from the U in child psychology and master's from Mankato State University in college student affairs.
6. Cheryl loves dogs, but she doesn't have any right now.
7. For Halloween one year she sewed a Pink Panther costume for her daughter.
8. Her oddest job was working part time as a test evaluator. She evaluated the written essays from standardized exams.
9. Cheryl enjoys knitting, cross stitching, and sewing.
10. She has season tickets for Gopher football and volleyball, and has partial season tickets for the Twins.