People in your neighborhood: Jody Stadler

Jody Stadler considers herself a nerd. She loves Star Wars, comic books, and everything science fiction. One of Jody's favorite comic book characters is Batman and she's even dressed up as Batman for Halloween.

OSF Caped Crusader.jpg

She also remembers one year when she tried to dress up as a ghost from the Peanuts Halloween Special, but had a minor wardrobe malfunction. "I cut the holes in the wrong place and they were on top of my head. Tufts of hair were sticking out of the top," Jody said.

Jody also enjoys "geeking out by listening to podcasts and tinkering around with computers," Jody said. "I'm my parent's IT person."

Though Jody loves comic books and Star Wars, if Hollywood made a movie about her life, she would choose Anne Hathaway in her Princess Diary days as the actress to play her. "I always picture her looking the mirror saying, 'This is as good as it's going to get,'" Jody said.

Originally from Shoreview, Jody graduated from the U with a degree in English in 2005. Immediately after, Jody began working as a Student Personnel Coordinator in the Loan Unit of the Office of Student Finance (OSF).

"I sort of tripped and fell into my current job," Jody said. "I started out as a student worker in OSF in 2002 and I've just never left. I haven't found anything that else that is as interesting."

Jody helps students who have Direct Loans, mostly through email, who want to request an adjustment to an award package. "I also coordinate with One Stop on troubleshooting loan questions and help out our Business Analyst, Marietta (Upsher)."

When One Stop was still located in Fraser Hall, Jody would interact with students face-to-face, but it's now all through email. But she has one memory that stands out.

"I had a random moment with a student who gave me documentation to have a checklist item cleared," Jody said. "I did the work and then she asked to see me at the counter. She gave me a big bear hug and thanked me for helping her out. It was really awesome and surprising."

Before ASR, Jody vividly remembers her previous job. She worked as a janitor in Sanford Hall. "I cleaned the bathrooms and the University Dining Services. Nothing grosses me out anymore," Jody said. "It was an interesting job though. I saw a whole other side of the U. It was like the underbelly of the U."

Last year, Jody bought a townhouse in Maplewood. She enjoys gardening in her new home and is learning to play the guitar.

Just Jody
1, Her favorite movie is Stars Wars (the original trilogy) or Moulin Rouge
2. She wishes she could imitate Chewbacca or Yoda.
3. She grew up wanting to be an author like Stephen King.
4. Jody still does creative writing, mostly short stories and fanfiction.
5. Jody is an only child.
6. Her first concert was DC Talk.
7. If she could have any superpower, Jody would love to fly because she is an impatient traveler.
8. Her favorite food is Indian or Italian.
9. Her favorite book is The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy.
10. The last book she read was a short story called Don't Eat Cat by Jess Walter.