People in your neighborhood: Nate Peterson

A few months ago, Nate became the newest Assistant Director in One Stop Student Services. The new position is a perfect fit, because he has dedicated his career to helping students.

Originally from Hastings, he currently lives in St. Paul with his partner, Ryan, and their two cats: Binx and Orangey. If you've yet to meet him, he has often been described as an outgoing and witty charmer.

Nate Peterson Pic.jpg

Nate has a bachelors degree in sociology and Spanish and a master's in higher education and student affairs. Before One Stop, he primarily worked in residence life at various universities across the country, including University of St. Thomas, The Ohio State University, and Loyola Marymount University. He says that working in One Stop is a totally different way of working with and supporting students.

Nate loves working at the U and in ASR because of the professional development opportunities that are available. He said that one of main draws of the U and One Stop is that they encourage and support professional development so much.

As an Assistant Director, Nate supervises the West Bank One Stop location and three counselors in the STSS location. He also supports staff development and supervises daily counselor tasks. Nate also sits on the Behavioral Care Team, the Financial Literacy committee, and the Welcome Week planning committee.

"Working in One Stop provides a lot of opportunities to reach out to people from all areas of the U," he said. "Having experience in residence life helps me understand the perspective of other departments and of students."

Beyond University work, some of Nate's more interesting jobs include waiting tables at a Chinese restaurant, working concessions at the Metrodome, and rebuilding and rearranging American Eagle stores. However, if he could be anything, he would be a stay-at-home dad.

In his spare time, Nate enjoys spending time with his nephews and being the "cool uncle." He is an avid runner, inside or outside. Being outdoors is very important to Nate, even in the winter. When Nate lived in Los Angeles, he said he hated not having four seasons. Nate also loves restaurant hopping and discovering new places to eat.

Nate is also in the market for a house. "My partner, Ryan, and I are house hunting currently," he said. "We've looked at over 50 houses in Columbia Heights, St. Paul, and South Minneapolis." They are also hoping to add a Boxer puppy to their family soon.

Music is also a big part of Nate's life. "I could not live without music. It just adds so much to every situation," Nate said. "I love the band Journey. I will never stop believing." He even has a Journey tattoo.

Nate's Nuances
1. Nate's favorite movie is Interview with a Vampire.
2. His favorite food is Oreos. "I can't walk by them without buying them.".
3. Nate's guilty pleasure: teen paranormal romance novels such as Twilight and Blue Bloods.
4. Last Halloween, Nate and a group of friends dressed up as characters from the Avengers, even some of the lesser known characters.
5. Nate wanted to grow up to be a country western singer. "I used to sing pop songs in a country western voice."
6. He has a fascination with Dolly Parton.
7. His biggest fear is soup and hot liquids. "I'm convinced it will melt my insides."
8. Nate loves the sound of freeway noise and traffic. "I like knowing there is traffic. It soothes me."
9. The Facts of Life, Hercules, and Xena Warrior Princess were his favorite shows as a kid.
10. His first concert was Wango Tango featuring Styx and REO Speedwagon.