Teaching assistants new to grading and commenting will have opportunities to become familiar with strategies and resources supporting effective and efficient practices. Seasoned teaching assistants looking for a tune-up are welcomed as well.
Wednesday, August 28 - Thursday, August 29
1:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Location TBA
Important information related to registration:
- registration is required
- registrants are expected to attend both afternoon sessions
- TAs must register themselves
- a letter of participation will be provided for those who complete the workshop
- become familiar with the attributes of MINIMAL marking
- practice commenting on a diverse sampling of student writing
- recognize the functions of comments in provoking revision
- discuss methods for identifying and using fair grading criteria and for working with criteria supplied by others
- practice assigning grades to an array of of student writing from social sciences sciences, humanities, etc.
- learn strategies recommended by a panel of experienced TAs
This workshop has been well received by graduate students in the past; many indicate that it provided them with pragmatic, foundational response practices.
Please forward this message to any interested graduate student TAs.