The Center for Writing will provide a pre-fall workshop for graduate student teaching assistants:
Commenting On & Grading Student Writing: A Workshop for Teaching Assistants
Monday, August 25
Beverages and snacks provided
Important information related to registration:
- Registration is required: http://z.umn.edu/2014taworkshop
- Registrants are expected to attend the full session
- TAs must register themselves, and
- A letter of participation will be provided for those who complete the workshop.
Brief description: In this interactive workshop, teaching assistants new to grading and commenting will have opportunities to become familiar with strategies and resources supporting effective and efficient practices.
- become familiar with the attributes of MINIMAL marking
- practice commenting on a diverse sampling of student writing
- recognize the functions of comments in provoking revision
- discuss methods for identifying and using fair grading criteria and for working with criteria supplied by others
- practice assigning grades to an array of of student writing from social sciences
- sciences, humanities, in accordance with the discipline in which they will be teaching
- learn strategies recommended by experienced TAs
Co-facilitated by Center for Writing staff and experienced TAs from disciplines including Mechanical Engineering, American Studies, and Writing Studies.
Please forward this message to any interested graduate student TAs.
Looking forward to a lively workshop!