rags to riches

First of all, I am pleased to learn that there is a new Dr. Dolittle movie on the way. If you haven't any of seen them, see them. They are hilarious.

Anyhoo, the new lead dog in this third installment is not some dog from a long line of movie stars (cough, Lassie, cough), but rather just a regular dog picked up from an animal shelter.

If you remember Lucky from the first two movies, that is who Crumpet (the shelter dog) will be playing. On Tuesday, she got a makeover to look a little more like Lucky, and filming starts this week. I can't wait 'til it's out in theaters! And yes, I am a nerd.

Posted by ause0007 at 2:24 PM

livin' in a material seaworld

Bottle-nosed dolphins have developed a material culture! It's awesome. They are using sponges as protective devices! They put them over their face when they prod for food on the seafloor and even teach their children to do the same!

Material culture is defined as tool-use that is taught to other members of the same species. So since the dolphin moms are teaching the dolphin babies how to use sponges, that's definitely material culture!

Chimpanzees and orangutans are other examples of the very few species with known material culture.

Posted by ause0007 at 4:36 PM

paper delivery cat

"Mom, look at this huge cat," said Trevor Bechtold, a paper-delivery boy, as he was looking around an animal shelter, in hopes of adopting a dog.

They left that day with Potsie, the 25 lb. cat, instead of a dog. But Potsie acts much more like a dog anyway.

When Trevor took a paper route about a month ago, he discovered that Potsie liked to tag along during the 5:30 a.m. deliveries. She would accompany Trevor to each and every delivery, even when it rained. This is an awesome cat.

Posted by ause0007 at 3:56 PM

zonked

What do you think would be going through your mind if you woke up one morning, went outside to have a cup of coffee, and found a zebra hanging out in your back yard? Probably that someone spiked your coffee, or maybe that it's about time you went in for a psychiatric evaluation. You'd never think it was real though.

Speaking of zebras... ever seen a zonkey?

Posted by ause0007 at 2:33 PM

fruityflies

Scientists have now found a way to make fruitflies switch sexual orientation. Yes, they can make even the straightest of fruitflies gay.

In the world of fruitfly sex, girls just aren't that interested. And the males are just plain horny. They try to get with the ladies, do the horizontal mambo, but they only succeed every now and again.

There is a single gene that scientists can alter that produces wild results. Take this gene from the male and put it into the female, and your female fruitfly becomes a sex-crazy floozy. And get this, she's not giving the males any action. Yes, that's right, it's girl-on-girl fruitfly action. And the female will only try to have sex with the male if he's covered in female scent. Put the female gene in the male and what do you get? A fruitfly who suddenly cherishes the other things in life.

Posted by ause0007 at 2:00 PM

Amira and Gertie, BM!!!

No kidding, another rhino and goat.

Confused? See here.

Posted by ause0007 at 5:06 PM

bipedal panda

This is a few days old, but I still feel I have to post it. It's too awesome.

Posted by ause0007 at 5:17 PM

fatty fatty three-by catty

A few weeks ago, a really fat cat was dropped off at an animal shelter in Sacramento. And when I say really fat, I mean REALLY fat. Weighing in at 33 pounds, Fat Cat is three times the size of the average cat, and eight times the size of a chihuahua. Fat Cat has recently been adopted, and is making headlines.

KCRA-Sacramento provides the best television stills I think I've ever seen.

For the past several years, it has been my goal in life to own a 28+ lb. cat. However, I don't want a fat cat, I just want a big cat, a Maine Coon. Unfortunately for my dream, cats that size only come in the form of purebred males, and I'm a die-hard follower of the unwritten rule to never buy a cat. So with the chances of a malnourished, stray, purebred, male Maine Coon cat showing up on my doorstep being so slight, it is likely that I will never own one. Oh well.

Leo, the 2004 Guinness World Record holder for Longest Cat in the World, is a Maine Coon. And he is 6 inches longer than the last record holder. At 35 pounds, his vet doesn't consider him overweight... because he's not. He's a big cat, not a fat cat.

For your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of other big cats: here (which looks suspicious with the background blotted out, but I assure you it is real ---> proof), and here... and yet another here. And oh, what the hell, one more.

Posted by ause0007 at 5:05 PM

rhinocerogoat

In the history of strange animal friendships, never have I seen such an unlikely pair. Yeah, I was suprised with Koko and her kittens. Yeah, Griz and Cat made my heart melt. Last week on MSNBC.com there was a photo of a dog and a deer that snuggled, this week a dog breastfeeding two tigers. I think I about died when I saw that. Even I have two cats that snuggle and lick my pet rats. But a rhinoceros and a goat? This takes the cake.

Meet Clover and Bok-Bok, BFF. When Clover is full-grown, she may weigh as much as 4,400 lbs. That's over a thousand pounds more than my '95 Ford Taurus.

Posted by ause0007 at 8:44 PM

California dreamin'

So a Wyoming housecat just turned up 1,000 miles from his home after only two days. And where did he go? Los Angeles, of course. Perhaps he was attempting to make it big in Hollywood. It's a classic case, small-town kid from Wyoming or North Dakota or some other boring state, wants to try his hand at acting, blah blah, so he ventures off to the City of Angels.

His owners suspect that he hopped a train or hitch-hiked his way there. You always hear stories about animals traveling long distances to get back to their families or what not. Well, this cat was apparently trying to get as far away from his owners as possible. It's like the opposite of psi trailing, which is a very cool phenomena might I add.

My old dog traveled 150 miles from suburban Columbus, Ohio on her way back to Minneapolis. She'd escaped during a holiday party, got lost, then decided to go home.

---> link to the story

Posted by ause0007 at 6:24 PM