« Reading 18 "Mathematics and Creativity" by Alfred Adler | Main | 4/2/08 Service Learning »

07 Project Title Page Design Options

I've used Adobe Creative Suite to design these three title page options for my group's millenium development project. For these three designs, I've drawn inspiration from publications and presentations which I've found to be clean and neat in their design, utilizing white space and avoiding overuse of ornamentation.

My three designs vary in their emphasis of images or white space, use of color, and general layout. My first design is a horizontally-oriented page, which would work well for the introductory slide of our slide show as well as for the first page of our hard copy pamphlet. I like the crisp modern feel to the page, as well as its colorful visual appeal. I chose two images with the intent of representing both facets of the problem we are exploring solutions to: the shortage and grim state of low-income housing (specifically in Minneapolis) and the threats on the health of our environment. I created all three designs in Adobe InDesign CS3 and converted into a PDF which can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Download file

My second design is oriented vertically. This design is definitely my cleanest. It has alot of white space and very few images. I think its cleanliness and simplicity represents well our project's theme of environmental sustainability. The three small images I have included are visible and eye-catching but not dominant. With its vertical orientation, it would work nicely as is for the cover page of our hard copy, but its scale would need to be altered before it could be used as our presentation's first slide.

Download file

Also oriented vertically is my third design. This design is quite different from my second design, with very little white space in comparison; a clear emphasis on the four rectangular images making up a square on the upper-middle of the page. A droplet of water represents our project's focus on the conservation of environmental resources in addressing the problem of high-density low-income housing in Minneapolis. The flourescent lightbulb represents our examination of current environmentally-friendly building materials. The image of the Cedar-Riverside Towers are represenative of our project's examination of problematic existing low-income housing in Minneapolis. Finally, the image of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis is represenative of our careful analysis of individual case studies of success stories in sustainable architecture. What I really like about this last one is the powerful meaning associated with each image, with each image making up one sector of the dominant square block consuming most of the page. Like my second design, I would need to alter this page in order to use it for our slide show.

Download file