« Minnesota Guardsman Killed in Iraq | Main | Pope Celebrates Palm Sunday »

Herb Carneal Dies

The Star Tribune reported that Twins radio broadcaster, Herb Carneal, died Sunday morning of congestive heart failure at his home in Minnetonka, Minn., he was 83. Carneal received the Ford C. Frick award in 1996. This last winter he spend six weeks in the hospital battling a variety of ailments. He was scheduled to work 36 home games this season, including the Twins opener on Monday against Baltimore. Twins President Dave St. Peter said in a statement that plans for how the ballclub intends to honor Carneal at Monday's game were being discussed Sunday.

The Pioneer Press reported that Carneal was part of the ballclub's radio play-by-play team for all but the first year of the Twin's existence in Minnesota. Originally from Richmond, Va., his first radio job was right out of high school. Before coming to Minnesota in 1962, Carneal called Athletics and Phillies games in Philadelphia and Orioles games in Baltimore.

Carneal was inducted into the Twins Hall of Fame in 2001 and the Metrodome's baseball press box was renamed in his honor in 2005.

Funeral arrangement are pending.

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! bisskwwhsxx

I had no idea Herb passed away. It's been a long time since I've caught a game.

Go Twins!

I reckon something truly interesting about your web site so I saved to my bookmarks .