Blog 1: Writing assignment

I am looking through the different software techniques in the syllabus and the one about general code easy to understand seems to catch my interest. I believe that we as programmers is imperative to write code as easy to read as we can. I think that is very unprofessional to write a program which is a mess in terms of clearness. I expect that at the end of this class I will be more capable of using the software design specifications; although, I am not quite sure what it means by that. Another technique that sounds interesting to learn is the one about developing a set of routines. Anyway, I am taking this class because I am willing to learn as much as I can.
On the other hand, I think I feel more confident using integrated development environments and UML. I was programming little bit in Java and one of the assignments involved to create UML diagrams. Besides that, I was using the IDE for C++ that comes with Visual Studio, but now I am dealing with Linux. It is always fun to learn new software platforms. I am far from being a computer science guru, but I believe that this course is full of new challenges, knowledge and projects that will lead me into a new level in the computer science world.

I also believe that it is important to have well organized code.

Andrew Hall

First off, I definitely have to agree with you in saying that IDEs are extremely useful in the implementation and testing of your code. Without them, you would most likely be miserable trying to debug via a series of printf() functions. I know that the first time I was introduced to an IDE and the plethora of features it had to offer, I was somewhat skeptical, however as I learned the various tools that it contained, I found my coding getting progressively more efficient.

Asides from that I saw that you seemed a little bit confused about what it meant by being "capable of using software specifications"? From my own personal experience/perception on this, I thought that it was referring to the technicalities of your program that you were designing. I think it deals more with understanding exactly what is specified to be constructed in your program such as any inherent data types, structures, etc.

Hope that this class helps you to become a better programmer as the semester progresses! :)

Josh Anwar

I agree that it's important to write code that's clear and easy to read, but I think comments are even more important in terms of code clarity. Granted, both organized code and comments help in this respect, but good comments can help explain even very disorganized code, and with large programs there's a limit on how organized one can make one's code.

Eitan Rogin

I really agree with you about wring codes which is clear and easy to read.Because if some bugs are in your code and you've debugged for thousand times, it still doesn't work and at this point , you have to ask for others' help.More clear your code is, less time for others to find errors.I think, it's as important as good comments.

Yujing Sun

Clear and well organized code is important for now since we are going to dealing with larger program. I love IDEs as well, they are useful tools which integrate programming tools, and also provides a nice and familiar coding window as opposing to the pale command terminal.

Han Lu

Han Lu

A lot of what you said sounds similar to my experiences. I too use IDEs for C/C++. I have used one for a long time called Dev-C++ by Bloodshed Software, I know weird name. However, recently I began to use one called Code::Blocks. I think using an IDE is extremely helpful!
Linux is new to me also, so hopeful we can learn about its features through this class and come out much more knowledgeable than before.
Hope you do well in this class,
Sam Barris

I totally agree that code that is sloppy and jumbled is extremely unprofessional. I am also excited for this course and the challenge it brings! Good luck.

I have a lot of experience with Visual Studio on a Microsoft platform too. I'm looking forward to using different tools & environments even though it's sometimes painful to break the mold.

Ryan Franklin

...yep, as many have said, clean code is something we all can use to focus on. I have heard of far too many horror stories of people walking into someone else's design and their attempts to make sense of what was going on. I'd rather not be responsible for that :)

Cameron Muehlen

I believe the point of this class is to expand on the tools in our toolbox and add many more to it as well. I don't know if I always agree about messy code being unprofessional. I think I would first consider the point of the code. If I were writing for the military or NASA, I would most assuredly use the most professional practices. If I were writing code for my own purposes, I might be messy and I might be gleeful about being messy, just saying. =>

Jessica

I think learning new skill is the most fun stuff for student like you wrote. I also enjoy learning new thing. Sometimes I think it's too tough or this class is too hard, though. I'm also studying Linux. If I say clearly, I'm playing around with Ubuntu. I did format and install like 5 times because of some problem such as wireless connection, video card, something like that. However; now I'm really enjoying Ubuntu system.

Yongtak Jin

Yes, I think this course is one of the most practical courses in this university. I hope by taking this course we can have a chance to deal of many practical issues from programming such as IDE, SVN, UML, and so on.

I think sometimes we have to be specialized in one certain tool. I think if make efforts on one single tool, then we can be a professional about it. On the other hand, by learning other tools a little, we can compare different tools.

I think that this experience has been quite long for you. I am glad it ended up with a positive ending, however. My experience was easier because I knew the partner I was working with beforehand anyway. I also had some troubles because the partner I was planning on working with ditched me to go be with another person in the class. Thankfully, it worked out because I had another friend in the class I am currently working with and it has been a very positive experience. I am glad you were able to learn from your partner just as I do.