Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« Selling an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ | Main | How to: Use Linux to Save Windows »

How to: Play Red Alert 2 (RA2) or Yuri’s Revenge (YR) over LAN using Windows XP/Vista | Posted at 9:58 PM

Update #1: Try using this RA2 patch that makes the game use UDP instead of IPX. It claims to make the game work on Vista.

Update #2: The other link doesn't work, use this ModDB page to download the patch. Confirmed working for RA2! This will work in Windows 7 and Vista.

---

Today, I had my friend over and we decided to play some Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge. This is my favorite CNC game of the whole franchise, but it did come out in 2000-2001. As such, playing it over LAN can get complicated and confusing. That's why I created this post. To help out people who are having trouble getting LAN to work.

Step 1: The set up

I have a router in my network configuration that is hooked up to a Network Switch (not a "Hub") that all my computers plug into.

When I first tried to network our game, my friend was using my laptop on my wireless network. This didn't work, at all.

Here's what did work: I plugged both computers by LAN cable into my Network Switch, not directly into the router. A hub might also work.

Step 2: Network Configuration

The next step is to make sure the network protocols on each computer are configured. Red Alert 2 is an older game and instead of the regular TCP/IP protocol that today's games use, it uses the IPX protocol.

Hey, Windows Vista Users!

Windows Vista does not officially support IPX. In fact, from the research I’ve done it looks impossible to get IPX working. However, there’s a great WikiHow article on how to apply a 3rd-party patch to replace the IPX functionality of RA2 with UDP instead. See if that works!

The Rest of Us

For the rest of you, by default, Windows XP doesn't install IPX on your network.

Alternate Solution without using IPX: WikiHow: Play Red Alert 2 Over the Internet

To install the IPX protocol on your network connection, do the following on each computer:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Control-Panel
  2. Find your Local Area Connection. This is the network card that you've plugged your LAN cable into, it's usually just named "Local Area Connection."

Network-Connections
  3. Now, right-click your Local Area Connection and select Properties.

LAN-Properties
  4. If "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" isn't listed, then we need to install it.
  5. Click "Install..." then select Protocol, then click "Add..."

Network-Protocol-Install
  6. You should see NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol listed (I already have it installed). Select it and click "OK".
  7. Return to the Property page, you should now see the new protocol listed just above "TCP/IP."
  8. Select it and click "Properties"

IPX-Properties
  9. For the field "Frame Type" select "802.2" and for Network Number use "00000001"
  10. Click OK and Close to exit out of the dialogs.

What we've just done is added the IPX protocol to your network connection. If you don't add this, Red Alert 2 will not go to the Network page when you click Network, it will bring you back to the Main Menu.

Step 3: Configuring RA2

1. Start up Red Alert 2.
  2. Click Options and then Network
  3. For Network Adapter, select the one that begins with "00 00 00 01" and then a bunch of numbers and letters. That's your Local Area Connection.
  4. For "Destination Network" type in "00.00.00.01"

RA2-Network-Settings

Click Back and Back again to return to the Main Menu screen. Now click Network to go to the Network Lobby. Stay there. Repeat all of the above steps on the second/third/fourth/etc. computer. Once all is said and done, you should all see each other in the Network Lobby.

If you don't see each other

If you don't see each other, make sure you're all connected through the hub or switch. Make sure all the "Network Number" fields for the IPX protocol are the same. Make sure no one is accidentally connecting to your wireless network.

Try disabling your firewall. I don’t use Windows XP Firewall when I play, so the wireless issue was a strange one. However, if you are using wired ethernet, make sure to disable any Internet Security or Firewall programs.

These were the settings and conditions under which we played successfully. You may not even have to edit the Properties of the IPX protocol if you are connected through a switch. I just made them the same just in case, I didn't test it using default settings. I think it may have to do with your router, that's why I said to connect them to a switch or hub.

Anyway, I hope this helps people in the future!

Update: A lot of people hit this page, so I’ve added pictures to help!

Filed Under: Gaming How To

it doesn't work

There are many things that could go wrong. Make sure you follow everything, you should also try the patch to see if that works in that WikiHow link.

Remember if you're connecting directly to a router it might not work. Try to use a hub or switch instead.

Interesting Solution!

thanx a lot for this solution, this work for me... =)

Thank you but it is old information and easy what really made me tired win vista really bad
thnx

thanks...
it works to me.

great work bro

Worked for me! Thanks!

it doesn't work because it told me that we have the same serial# and i don't know how to change it or what to do...plz help me quickly!!

http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Red-Alert-2-over-the-Internet
better method i guess.

Nice! Good to see that Red Alert 2 is still alive, people are trying to play with each other and are helping another to get the connections working.

how i connect to the network without having any hub or connected to other computer
i want to play it with a player from the internet

Ty very much

Oh well, It great for me..
thank u man...

hey buddy , thanx a lot!! works gr8!!

works gr8 , thanx buddy!!

i set up all the connection and evry thing is ok , but when i tried to conect the game it always says that u have same serial # , so what should i do plz ???

hey you guys need to have games with different serials on both computeres for the multiplayer to work .

i did all these things but i still have a problem ..
when my other computer create a game i can see him .. but when i click join it says "the game is incompatible"

what can i do ?? i installed the game on the 2 pcs from the same CD !!

any ideas ??

Hamachi network: ra2.com pass: 123

Hamachi network: ra2.com pass
: 123

Hamchi network: ra2.com pass: 123

activa Option Internet play (share commponet internet)

Need v 1006 del red alert 2 or yuri Revenge

join Server FREEE!

install (no need modify host )

Install/UnInstall server:

xwols.net/xwoltools/XwOlseverLinstallR.rar

Join Lobby chat:

xwols.net/xwoltools/install_xwol_chat_ServervRedG.zip

enjoy!!!!

join Server FREEE!

install (no need modify host )

Install/UnInstall server:

http://www.xwols.net/xwoltools/XwOlseverLinstallR.rar

Join Lobby chat:

xwols.net/xwoltools/installhttp://www.xwol_chat_ServervRedG.zip

enjoy!!!!

hello dear... i have a problem... with windows vista... when i enter proprieties on local connecion .. and instal .. protocol ... here i don;t have any protocol.. i don;t have this NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS what's the problem

yo me and and my bro want to play Yuri's Revenge on LAN but it says the same serial is already being used in that game

searched many forums every1 keeps yelling GET A NEW SERIAL well guess what I DID. the serials ARE different (i checked the registry for both RA2 and Yuri's Revenge) but still it says the serial is in use. this problem freaks out too many people to go unanswered, is there any1 out there who's got a REAL solution?????

dear... yap a little problem, i can connect thought but the thing's is when i get started my friend exploded it self about 10 second,how i can solve this problem??... thx..

thanks,,

the above steps worked great for my xp but what about windows 7?

my game is not working on network.i have 2 computers .it says error 'this serial# already in that game"plzz help me plzzz

for red alert 2

ra2_ist

123

Looks like a good post m8. Ill try hopefully it will work. Thanks anyway :)

This worked for me, two win xp's thanks a LOT :-D

heLLo:Sid
[[ This worked for me, two win xp's thanks a LOT :-D]]

can you help???

Sure soy, temme where ur stuck??

hey thx for that i play it online almost 10 years now but i never tryed to play on network i have 3 network adres but didnt know if i could play network i always tough its westwood..and i dont need to play on network there are enough players to play online so i dont need it but i tryed it and it works for me..thx bro

any problems with red alert 2 ?? i can fix every problem with red alert 2 add me as frind and i ll show you how to fix it... firat_ergun@live.nl

man ty very much you are great man :*:*:*:*:*

in the lobby we can see eachother but if i create a game my friend can't c me anymore need help

I am running windows 7. Has anyone tried this steps for Windows 7 machines? I want to set up a windows 7 and a XP for my cousins...
Please let me know if it is possible. Thanks

hey ..yep i try it..lk its so easy just donwload a file named wsock32.dll u can find it at megaupload.com w put in the folder directory in the both pc w it's done;)

hey good work im gonna try it
:and your explination is clear

I have 2 computers with router. I do all steps, but i only see in one computer the other computer... in the lobby, with the PC1 i see the PC2... but in PC2 i cant see PC1... whats is wrong?

Need help. Did everything correctly, but when I go to select my mac inside the game, it says IPX is not available. Even tho the protocol is installed. Is this because I bought the pack called 'First Decade' and not just ra2? RA2 in this one is in a bundle pack with other red alert games.

Need help. We saw each other on the lobby, but when we tried to connect on the game, it said that the other player already used my serial #. What should I do?

Anyone still play RA2?
Personally, I've moved on to SC2 recently but will always have fond memories of red alert... awesome game!

Thanks for posting this. Been having trouble with all the C&C games behind Generals: Zero Hour. This solves my problem.

I love this game, played with great pleasure. My favorite military units are aircraft and battleships.

i tried and both of these games suck

I never tired to play it. I love it

u rockkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this post is old but man it brings back memories. Me an my room mate literally had a Red Alert addiction. I was upstairs, I was downstairs, and we played over our LAN for endless house. I really could have used this back then- we were having a hell of a time getting it to run right, and that was under Win 2K

NET IP: ra2-khangdu
password: 123

Thanks a lot, Kamran.
Good job. Regards from Germany. "Jock"

thanks t works for me soo...

thanks this is very helpful.........

Well solar energy is just the technology that makes capturing this energy possible. We can convert power from the sun into useable energy and it can be done without going broke and many people will see a return on their investment over time. If you are interested in learning more about what is solar energy, then you have many options available to learn and understand how this can be used to save you money

YURI 2011
PAS YURI

Thank you friend! I don't understand a thing what is what for, but the LAN party works!! It's a little hard sometimes, the numbers not always correct, but I can handle it. THANKS!!! : )

Thank you very much.. i just follow all your instructions and it'll work... it did a lot of help to me..

Yes!! finally I've got the game that i wanna it ever...and really thank you,for sharing and making the game good.me and my brother had a red alert addiction for this.woohhooohh!!

Thanks it helps a lot.
I'm a true fan of Red Alert!

AWESOME it works for me :D
Thank you for sharing! :D

wtf it doesnt work players are detected but no game detected????????

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites