Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« How To: Get $10,000 Worth of Stuff [Digital Dorm Room] | Main | Public Schools Might Be Alright [Books] »

How To: Create a Tinker Toy Tractor | Posted at 2:57 PM

This instruction set is for my HSEM 3067H class, where we get different restrictions on making instructions for a tinker toy creation. Our restriction is that we can only use text-only on a blog or wiki.

That means no pictures, so we've tried our best to standardize our vocabulary and being pretty specific on what needs to be done.

What You'll Need

• 4 Yellow Wheels
  • 2 Big Red Wheels
  • 2 Red Rods
  • 2 Purple Connectors
  • 1 Purple Rod
  • 1 Green Rod
  • 1 Dark Green Cross
  • 1 Orange Sombrero
  • 1 Blue Wheel

Overview

What you'll be constructing today is a tractor. There are 3 parts to creating the tractor: 1) Create Back Axle, 2) Create Front Axle, 3) Insert pedal shaft, seat, and steering wheel.

At the top you will find the list of materials you will need from the Tinker toy box. Keep in mind these are the "big" tinker toys, not the smaller ones.

Assumptions

When using Big Red Wheels, we are inserting rods into the side that appears to be the inside of the wheel. The "center" is the hole that is surrounded by 4 other holes.

Part 1: Create Back Axle

The Back Axle consists of:

• 2 Big Red Wheels
  • 1 Purple Rod
  • 1 Blue Wheel

Steps

1. Take a Big Red Wheels and insert one end of the Purple Rod into the center hole of the wheel.
  2. Take the Blue Wheel and slide it (using the center hole) onto the Purple Rod so that it is situated in the middle of the rod. The Big Red Wheels should be able to turn without turning the blue wheel.
  3. Take the other Big Red Wheels and connect it to the other side of the Purple Rod so that it reflects Step 1.

The Back Axle should resemble the rear wheels of the tractor.

Part 2: Create Front Axle

The Front Axle consists of:

• 2 Purple Connectors
  • 3 Yellow Wheels

Steps

1. Insert one end of the Purple Connector into the center hole on the 1st Yellow Wheel.
  2. Repeat Step 1 for the 2nd Yellow Wheel and Purple Connector.
  3. For the first pair, insert the other end of the Purple Connector into the center hole of the 3rd Yellow Wheel (the side of the wheel that consists of only one hole).
  4. Repeat Step 3 for the second pair.

The Front Axle should now resemble the front wheels of the tractor.

Part 3: Insert Other Connectors

The Pedal Shaft

The pedal shaft consists of:

• The Front and Back Axles
  • 1 Dark Green Cross
  • 1 Red Rod
Steps
  1. Slide the Dark Green Cross onto the Red Rod, so that it is situated in the center.
  2. Insert one end of the Red Rod into the Blue Wheel of the Back Axle. At this point it does not matter which hole you use in the Blue Wheel.
  3. Insert the other end of the Red Rod into the center Yellow Wheel of the Front Axle.
  4. The back Big Red Wheels and the front 2 Yellow Wheels should be touching the ground and the Red Rod connecting the Front and Back Axles should be parallel to the ground.

The Seat

The seat consists of:

• Back Axle
  • 1 Green Rod
  • 1 Yellow Wheel
Steps
  1. Attach the Green Rod to the Blue Wheel of the Back Axle so that the Green Rod is perpendicular to the ground (i.e. sticking straight up).
  2. Attach the Yellow Wheel to the Green Rod, so that the Yellow Wheel is sitting flat atop the rod (i.e. use the center hole to attach).

The Steering Wheel

The steering wheel consists of:

• Front Axle
  • 1 Red Rod
  • 1 Orange Sombrero
Steps
  1. Attach the Orange Sombrero to one end of the Red Rod.
  2. Attach the other end of the Red Rod to the Yellow Wheel of the Front Axle so that, when all 4 tractor wheels are touching the ground, the Red Rod forms a 45 degree angle with the Pedal Shaft.

Conclusion

You should now have a tractor/go-cart/vehicle. The front wheels don't really turn, but we made do with the parts we had.

Filed Under: Academics How To

You totally need to attach a photo for this :)

Okay, nevermind my last comment. I didn't get the specs. But, you could give the text color, no?

Thanks Eva!

Sweet, really 'pops' now.

I remember playing with tinker toys myself! its a great toy for expanding the mind always coming up with new ideas and creativity.

Brings me back to the good ole days where kids didnt have to sit in front of a tv to entertain themselves.

I was at the toy store the other day and saw something similar to tinker toys. It looked a little more advanced though. With Tinker Toys you couldnt bend the pieces so every thing was straight, these toys now you can bend and mold to make what ever shape you want which is pretty cool!

Makes me remember my childhood, great site by the way. I have given it a Digg for you.

This is very useful post, I can't think of anything to add as you have covered everything. I have given the article a Digg for you.

any ideas where I can purchase the big red wheels from?

Do you happen to know how to build a rollercoaster? My son would really like me to help and I haven't a clue!

Very clear and useful instructions on how to make a tinker toy tractor even without the usage of pictures and I really like the colored texts.

I have made one using a prototype of an RC truck from toykin.com and the coloring suggestions in this post, and it is just beautiful and the kids love it for sure!

I have made one using a prototype of an RC truck and the coloring suggestions in this post, and it is just beautiful and the kids love it for sure!

I'm going to make a working prototype. Thanks!

"That means no pictures" Aww too bad! I'd like to see how they're made step by step with photos. But anyway I hope you don't mind if I printed this. I'll ask my brother to make some for the kids.

I'm so stoked I stumbled across your blog. This is a perfect blue print for my son who loves to build.

I used to take mine apart and modify them to my own delight. Great fun when your a young one.

Really looks interesting but I would really like to see a picture of what it looks like. Please.....

that is good information for me, thanks

I need some help with the big red wheels. Where do I get them?!

I served my time as an apprentice carpenter joiner riding my bike all around town doing repairs, many a time i had to take the wheels and tires off to fix a puncture Ho Ho happy memories.Wheels and Tires Best Tire Prices Discount Tire Company Merchants Tire

This is a very good project for dad and the kids. I made a replica of my chevy with Aluminum Alloy Wheels. Although I just painted the wheels black.

That seems too complicated for my little ones, but great project. Will definitely try it when they're older.

Jennifer

Learning Toy
http://www.learning-toy.info

This is a great project. This maybe somewhat involved but this is not meant to be a simple and it will require some involvement on my part. great article

Thanks for saying so, i need some time to think about this. I have just got interested in blogging and hopefully i am able to do so

Your guide would improve much more if you could include some images of the process. I did understood how this works but don't think it would be as easy for my kids to follow. Anyway, many thanks.

This is great! Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will do this with my son. Thanks again.

Too bad there aren't any pictures for this as I am a visual person. However, my hubby will be able to put something like the tractor together with the instructions you laid out. My daughter will love this because she's fascinated with tractors right now. Thank you

Making tinker toy tractor is not easy. You need to follow each instruction carefully to obtain the best toy that you never had before. I realized that this toy is not just for kids but also for adults who want to collect things. Adults may even make there own toy tractor that has the best truck seats available on the market. With the different seats available on the market, you can surely enjoy assembling your toy tractor.

I really like this info. Unfortunately I have to imagine it, because there is no picture at all. I was fortunate to be able to read it anyway.

I really like this info, but unfortunately I have to imagine it, because there is no picture at all. I was fortunate to be able to read it anyway.

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites