Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« How To: Track Your Xbox Repair Without Knowing the Tracking Number [Annoying] | Main | Rewriting Comcast's Abuse Notifications [1-Up] »

How To: Get Hotmail on Outlook/Thunderbird | Posted at 3:21 PM

smtp-settings

Recently the Windows Live team enabled POP email access for all Hotmail (Live Mail)-based accounts. I found a great resource for how to add your accounts to Outlook (and with Thunderbird it's pretty much the same).

What are Windows Live Hotmail's POP3 and SMTP Settings?

In Thunderbird, for incoming you choose POP. For outgoing (SMTP), you need to add it in the Outgoing Server account and instead of SSL, choose TLS with a port 25. Type in your username as well.

Yes, it works with Hotmail-based accounts too, like my Student Partners email address.

[via Ask Leo]

Filed Under: How To Tips and Tricks Web & Internet

Thank god! I have been waiting for Hotmail to integrate POP access for years. I actually gave up on it and haven't checked in months. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't come across your post. Definitely a feature that should have been added earlier, but at least its finally available.

This was a great writeup. I recently had to do this in outlook. What I found now though is that if you simply enable pop/imap in your mail settings and use thunderbird instead of outlook it will configure all of the settings for you which is nice!

Very nice descriptions. I had sometimes some problems using outlook on my computer and i didnt use the program veyr much. But it's really nice to configure hotmail accounts.

Thanks for the tip,

Theodore

it’s really an interesting article. superb… for reading it, Nice article. Maybe you wanna visit my site, my new site, just take a look around for a minute and give some advice for a betterment. from your friend.
thank you.

thank you.

Hey thanks ylot for this article , I was looking for a way to integrate my hotmail with thunderbird. However I find outlook express to be better than thunderbird. Don`t you also think so ?

I used to have hotmail but because of the limitations I have then switched to Gmail. Now, I don't even know what my username in hotmail was.

I would be suprised if i knew anyone who used hotmail though outlook express.

Mostly everyone has a website now so they use their own pop3/smtp for own website.

Good article anyways for those who still use hotmail.

regards,
JIMMY

Yeah, I woner whether anyone really uses hotmail any more...

I really don't understand why anyone would disagree with that. I think that sounds like it is something to look more closely at. I feel sometimes alot of people can be pretty narrow minded when it comes that. Well thats all for now, look forward to more post and information.. Talk to you guys later. "As in life, Chill for best results"

Hotmail integration with Outlook is a good news, I was waiting for this to happen in a long time...

My first email account was with Hotmail. I have since switched to gmail.

Yes It works!! That's wonderful. I guess I'll be using hotmail as well. Thanks for the brilliant post.
Regards

About time windows enabled POP access for Hotmail! I was starting to wonder if this was never going to happen.

Great article. Finally I 'get' it how to set up my hotmail account in Thunderbird. Brilliant =)

It's about time hotmail integrates POP access! I've been waiting for that for sometime now.

Thanks for a great article. I thought hotmail on outlook would never happen. Ive been waiting for it a while. Good news like Luke says. Thanks!

Hotmail on outlook is great news with integrated POP access, however there are still message size limitations which restrict this from being the winning mail service it could be.

Great article, is there an advantage to a hot mail account as opposed to a Gmail account?

Hmmm I don't think many people would use hotmail through outlook.

I personally use a paid email that's web based so I can check it anywhere.

I personally prefer to use paid email in professional matter.Though hotmail is OK

I have tried Outlook several times and never could understand the coding, or how to set it up. So I used gmail and MSN instead.
Now I can try outlook again.
Thank you.

Wealthy Affiliate is responsible for my 6 figure a year income, my total freedom, my free time with my family, my many vacations, my house, my cars, and everything else that I have as a result of succeeding at internet marketing.
http://www.melovemoney.com/worldwidebrands

Good article here, but sometimes i wonder if hotmail is ever used nowadays. Like for me, i have switched to gmail.

I personally prefer to use paid email in professional matter.

Informative post...

I recently melted all my email accounts into Outlook (Hotmail, Yahoo, Live, and then almost a dozen for my own sites)...

Hotmail was the final piece of the puzzle, so thanks for this, truly appreciate it :)

Dude you are beast! Sweet hack or tip or whatever you want to call it.

thank you, i now have a guide to refer people to that want this!
less time on the phone Hooray

The more integration we get between email systems the better. If it is easy to set up and relaible, thats better too.

I use hotmail as well as other service providers and to be able to run thease accounts successfully from Thunderird has been great for me. Rock On!

Thanks for sharing this. I tried Outlook in past, but no success. Just too complicated to set up. So thanks for sharing this

It's soo cool. right now
http://gank-zone.blogspot.com

still cant get my hotmail to outlook. your tactic is overrated.

Thank you kind sir. First place I looked, first place I found it

Thank you for this enlightenment.

I find this article an eye opener. Now with my Hotmail account, I can enable Pop mail using the information you just provided.

Would visit you blog again for more tips. Thanks a lot.

Ugh, thanks alot, ive been searching for this the entire day yesterday and today. Stupid POP

yep this confirutation help so much with this count be both on the self count thnaks

i have been dowsing foods for my self for a leist 2 years i used to get a lot of stomuk beurns my dowsing found out bannas were no good for me to eat when i stopped eating bannas my stumcik burns stooped i soffer from dyslexia i havent done eny spell cheks for this blog thanks

Really I do not know the process. Can you help me?

well, I always tried to implement these email organizers. I used thunderbird but to be honest it is simply to complicated and I have also seen that it doesnt work always correctly, like not showing all emails. thats why I had to abandon it.

Great tip but after I upgraded to Windows 7 I found that Outlook is no longer available and I had to migrate everything to windows live email. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Haha I forgot how to do this. Thank you for posting it so i didnt have to think!

Much Love.

I personally not a huge fan of outlook, but ill give it a try since i use hotmail and live. thanks for the info

I am glad hotmail is keeping up with the current trends.

Ha great. I still use my old hotmail account for some things. Will try it on thunderbird to see if it's any faster. Thanks for the info

Thanks a lot for helping those who need more help. I am very happy about those persons also who are donating money for those. I will inform my known persons to donate here ad I will you will find good response from others.

Would be easily to access my Inbox, but what about port 25 is blocked by ISP?

Would be easily to access my Inbox, but what about ISP blocking 25 port?

I never actually use outlook, even other email accounts since i have pop3/smtp in my own website. And I am pretty sure everyone has their own website by now.

ganar en betfair

Good article here, but I don't know if Hotmail is used so much nowadays. I have switched to gmail.

Unfortunately hotmail became spammer's paradise, the accounts are often hacked and most hotmail e-mails are banned from major networks.

Also outlook is heavily targeted by hackers and I use an alternative.

This information is very helpful. As an instructor of High School and
Community College students, it's good to know how to reach
my students better through the online components of
my Religion classes.

am glad hotmail is keeping up with the current trends.

Thank you very much for some great info! It is a shame that Hotmail has gotten bad with spamming, though...

It does seem like more people are using Gmail over Hotmail these days.

Useful tips! Thanks. Next time I have a client who needs a hotmail account in outlook I will try it out.

I don't usually bother with systems as you know but this stuff is really very useful.But what you want to know is...
Is Auto Money Formula for me?
You might even want to know why I'm actually offering it to you.Well, like I said, I've been there. I've struggled along, been lied to and been duped out of a scary amount of money.I managed to swipe this software from under the noses of my greedy bosses...
And now I want to offer you the chance to profit too.
Please do listen to exactly what I mean here: http://www.automoneyformula.com/
I guarantee you that this is 100% genuine.
It is YOUR big chance.I really do hope to see you on the inside.

Talk soon

I think I still have a hotmail account or two but my fav is definite gmail. It just seems easier to set it all up that way, even the wed site http://atlantaweddingsites.com Appreciate your insights though there Cap'n Bligh!

ohh yes. i 'll try it i didnt use outlook ever day

hotmail can't beleive people into hotmail still, lost my love for way back 2004, it had its time, so did outlook, its all cloud stuff from my world, keep up the good work dude.

You still need to keep a hotmail (windows live) account open if you use Bing webmaster tools at all. That's the only reason I still have a hotmail account. http://locksmithrichmondva.net

I have been using Thunderbird for a year now. I receive all my email via hotmail with it. It's great to use too and simple. I recommend anyone to use it. You can also integrate with your other email acounts.

I actually gave up on it and haven't checked in months. i already started using only Gmail now. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't come across your post.

Awesome information I will be passing this on to my friend who was wondering about this himself!

One of my clients was asking me about this now I can tell him about the TLS setting. Thank you.

I don't really use these applications, but thank you for posting. This will be a big help for several users out there.

I am using Hotmail...will check this out.

love the info,but don't really use all the application,but Thunderbird is one that i do use.

It's about time! I have always wondered why Hotmail doesn't allow POP. Enabling this would make my life a lot easier.

I never knew Hotmail could be set up in Outlook so this was very useful thank's!

This is really helpful, thanks. I gave up on Outlok Express a few years ago as it kept crashing and moved to Firefox. I've only just needed to use Hotmail, so this makes my life a lot easier. Thanks again!

Wow, this is very helpful. I was not aware of this, thanks!

thanks can I send mass mail using hotmail stmp

@Ahmed

I always use to send mass mail, 1st smtp server... it does the job!

Thank you for sharing.I am using thunderbird for my gmail accounts only, now I can do more too!

I am so glad they have finally integrated hotmail and POP. It`s about time!
Thanks for the news

This same problem was like grand canyon for me and I'm thankful that I finally found info that you are presenting to help me solve that problem.
Keep posting valuable info in the future!

I use Thunderbird at work so might access my hotmail account from there. Thanks for sharing.

Actually I am using Hotmail, I'll have to check this out.

Very nice descriptions. I had sometimes some problems using outlook on my computer and i didnt use the program veyr much..

Hey thanks ylot for this article , I was looking for a way to integrate my hotmail with thunderbird.
Oceans

My professor always told me to not use a gmail or hotmail account on resumes, but that was a long time ago. Would you consider this still the case?

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites