Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« Brutal Legend [Impressions] | Main | Facebook's Gross National Happiness Index [Stats] »

You Don't Need Photoshop: Get Paint.NET | Posted at 11:21 AM

Saying you don't need Photoshop is probably false if you really want powerful photo editing abilities but for those that just need a powerful image editor and don't want to pay $400, then Paint.NET is for you.

image

The best part is that is totally free and is constantly being updated. Above you can see the latest beta version and it is awesome.

There are layers, history, and filters along with common tools like magic wand, pencil, brush, shapes, freeform shapes, and more. It has everything you need for creating images and more. It also works great with tablet PCs.

I've installed it on every computer I own and always recommend it to my friends. It's easier to use than Photoshop is and is friendly to newbies.

So what are you waiting for, get Paint.NET!

Filed Under: Technology Tips and Tricks

I think it is a good way of saving money.I contains almost all features as photoshop has.So I have installed this in my pc and it is working really well.

I tried paint.net before,it is really nice software,most of that it is free

i love free tool.
but Photoshop is great.

I used paint.net a few years ago, but I found that I liked Elements a lot better. With Elements you use all the same commands as with Photoshop so if you do ever go with photoshop you are already fairly proficient. Visit my website to get some cool digital photoprops that work with Elements or Photoshop.

http://mydigitalphotoprops.com

Has anyone used the new Paint that comes with windows 7? It has improved so much since the last version.

If you want to get a used copy of photoshop try seeing if a student peer is selling it. buy and sell used stuff using a site called P2Pspot

I've used it myself. The UI actually seems a bit counter-intuitive at first (at least to me), but overall this is very powerful software and well worth having. Lots of plugins available, too.

Paint.NET would have served my needs adequately. Too bad I only knew about it now, a couple of years after having bought Photoshop. Just the same, the app is good and I'm grateful for selfless developers.

Nothing beats free stuff! If you're using a graphics software for purposes similar to the majority of us, then Pain.net if just right. If you're in the serious business of graphics, you'll need something heavier like photoshop.

Despite Paint.net's near perfect features that almost approaches that of, say, photoshop, in terms of its major editing tools, I still go for Photoshop. Perhaps I just got so used and comfortable with photoshop I automatically dismiss other apps of the same kind as I wouldn't want to go through another learning phase for another application.

While Photoshop is undeniably expensive, there is one way to get it cheap - buy the previous version. Don't spend loads on the latest, just look on ebay for folks selling off their old copies and you can pick up photoshop for a fraction of the price.

I have personally used Paint.net a lot, but it doesn't compare to the over all usability of CS5. I recommended it to a friend who couldn't afford photoshop and he likes it very much, so it is a good option. I like the more advanced program for posting tutorials on my site at http://www.howtophotoshop.co. But that's me. Anyway, that's my 2 bits.

You don't need it but I prefer PSD all the way!

Let me say this, it can be very useful to have a free Photoshop alternative, there it really does not come close to the power of PS.

I personally run a "How to Photoshop" tutorial site http://www.ticalicodesigns.com.

It's expensive, but well worth the investment.

Good luck!
www.ticalicodesigns.com

I agree, this can be used for basic editing but for more complex editing Adobe PS is a must. I'm a graphic editor as well and I know how important PS is !

Nice website and thanks for the program. A lot cheaper than photoshop. Thanks

Hi Guys, I've found this interesting! Check it out! http://www.slicetohtml.com

Still Photoshop is best for designing and editing. But for basic needs this one is not bad, after all its free.

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites