Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« Tyson Motsinger/Nebraska Book Company Responds to Complaints [Update] | Main | How To: OS Fingerprinting Using Wireshark Capture and p0f [Security] »

How To: Get Tversity to Stream MKV Files to Xbox 360 [It Works] | Posted at 10:55 AM

The other day I successfully got a 720p MKV file to stream to my Xbox 360. Before I get into the details, I can't guarantee this will work for you. It did for me and it could be any one of these things that will make it work for you.

The last thing I did that made it work was to go into ffdshow audio decoder settings and set it to downmix decoded audio to stereo (NOTE: before I had it set to 2.1, that didn't work!). Here's the screenshot:

image

Just try doing that. If it doesn't work, then try the rest of these steps that I did.

1. If using Vista/7, make sure you have Windows Media Player 11 installed.
  2. Download the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack
  3. Let it uninstall all the things it warns you about.
  4. Restart
  5. Now go into the ffdshow audio decoder settings and make these changes: change WMA 7 and WMA 8/9 to use libavcodec.

image

Go into the Tversity settings Transcoder page and change it to my settings:

image

If Windows Media Video 8 doesn't work, 9 works for me. You can change your connection speed accordingly.

These are the changes I made and it worked. If they don't work for you, just make sure you can actually watch the mkv files on your own computer. If you can't, you must be missing something.

Note: While this DID work, my computer was not fast enough to transcode a 720p file into HD WMV so it buffered a lot and was choppy. For low-end machines, I'd recommend lowering the video resolution. Also, forget about rewind/fast-forwarding… that just didn't work for me.

Filed Under: How To Technology Tips and Tricks

I tried to do it few times but it never worked for me.

Last time I tried to stream mkvs to my old xbox. Unfortunately it didn't work out. Seems the cpu isn't powerful enough to do so although I have read some blog posts stating 720p would be possible.

Doing just the first change did not work. You also might want to mention that to get in to ffdshow when there is no shortcut:

Go to Start, Run (If you dont have it, press Windows Key and the Letter R) then type rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax", configureAudio

Interesting i'll have to get home and try out these instructions

I'm still confused apply this trick, but I should be grateful, because it already provides this information

Wow Kamran, I spent a lot of time fiddling with decoders and never successfully streamed any 720p MVKs from Tversity, so I'm impressed.

I had just said "get over it" and decided to keep converting MKVs to WMV-HD with VC-1, when I found DIVX tech preview (I think it's called) by DIVX Labs, which lets you stream to 360 via the media center blade option.

I know a lot of people seem to be happy converting to MP4 with Megue or something, splitting and then streaming but I haven't had decent results with that.

Definitely wish I found this post the day I found Tversity though.

Thanks

i tried many time but it never works....

Seems interesting! Some days before I thought of something like this but unable to link the things!
Thanks to you!

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites