Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« Controlling Multiple Computers Using One Keyboard and Mouse using Input Director [PC] | Main | Upgrading Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 [FYI] »

Go to Gamestop and Get a Shiny New Xbox 360 for $150 [Deals] | Posted at 6:38 PM

My new Xbox 360!

Kotaku to the rescue. Here's my experience:

After reading the article, I called my local Gamestop and they said they had 1 new Xbox left. So I quickly backed up my profiles, themes, avatars, etc. on my 4GB flash, and only about 50MB worth of stuff was backed up. Didn't transfer videos, etc.

Stuffed my Xbox Elite 120GB (no wireless adapter) into my backpack with cables and grabbed about 10 games (X360, Wii) I've been wanting to get rid of.

I drove to the Gamestop and asked if they still had it in stock, they had, and I gave them my stuff. After going through everything, they took everything except the old Xbox originals.

"Where's your controller?" Uh… crap.

I forgot a controller! So I either had to trade in everything and NOT get to apply it to my new Xbox purchase (because the trade was incomplete) or gamble and come back (traffic was about 25 mins each way).

BUT WAIT. The nice woman said that she could sell me a used controller and that'd count, I'd just be paying that much more. So that's what I did... unfortunately, but I didn't want to come back later.

The moral of my story: REMEMBER TO BRING EVERYTHING. They need wires and controller but not an HDMI if you have one; the new Xbox doesn't come with an HDMI cable. I almost gave them that, too.

So, in the end, my receipt was:
Trade-in + Edge Savings: -$198
Used Wired controller: $27
New Xbox 360: $300
Edge + GameInformer 12mo: $15
Tax: $9

This brings my total to only $153. If I had remembered my controller, I could have had the bugger for $126! But now I have an extra wireless controller, letting me use my wired for my PC... so whatever I guess.

I am very happy not only because I have a new pimp Xbox but also because I no longer need my network switch all the way across my apartment just for the Xbox. Now my Wii, Xbox 360, and laptop use Wi-Fi. So will my PS3 once I buy one.

READ ON FOR IMPORTANT TRANSFER INFO

I found out too late that the USB transfer didn't go as smooth as it said it did. It didn't transfer about 4 gamer profiles (my girlfriend's and my friend who play A LOT) and it didn't transfer most (any?) of my save games (even though it did transfer a few saves from other profiles)!

So now I have 0% in Red Dead (although I beat it) and no savegames in all my other games. At least I have my achievements, which my girlfriend unfortunately can't say.

The reason I believe this happened is because of a stupid "feature" that when you transfer, it actually MOVES the information to the other device instead of copying. I had initiated a transfer before that I canceled about 25% of the way through, then deleted whatever was on there because I assumed it just copied. Nope. I deleted my own save games.

Double check your transfer to make sure everything transferred correctly and DO NOT just format your USB drive; transfer everything over first.

Filed Under: Gaming Life Technology Tips and Tricks

What a great way to save! Getting rid of the old stuff to get a new one will really make you save money! Just don't forget the controllers!

Lol i did this deal too. I read up before i did the transfer though to prevent what you did. haa

That was a really funny experience you have, the moral is really never forget to bring anything when you're in a hurry...

Yep, this sure does help with things. And it's better than having to pay for an adapter. Thanks

My son really loves this, I bought him an Xbox for his birthday, not at this great price though. I'm glad you take your time and find a great deal on this. Nice.

Hi

Great information in this post and I think the reason I believe this happened is because of a stupid "feature" that when you transfer, it actually MOVES the information to the other device instead of copying.

Good move on purchasing the use controller to seal the deal. A lot can happen in 50 minutes!

What a deal! I wonder if you can still do this?

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just buy the Kinect sensor. Just seems silly to spend $150 on something that sells for $50.

Good tips on backing up everything first before bringing the xbox in for a trade-in. My brother forgot and well you know the rest of that sad story.

Hey great article, that is a great way to save money, and thanks for the tips. I wouldn't expect everything to be exactly as advertised. It's hardmaking moneyso anything that can be done to save a few buck is alright in my book.

Good deal, shame about losing the gamer profiles though...

I can't wait for Kinect. I've tried my best to avoid the negative comments about it failing etc..I just see it as the next generation in gaming, and by this time next year, the games will rock. The launch games are pretty gimicky, but I watched the clip for Dance Paradise, the game which Universal Music is working on...now that looks like the bomb. I've pre-ordered the 250GB Kinect Bundle....I plan on buying a lot of games, hehe. Lucky I got in fast, I read that Gamestop already sold out. Saying all this, one thing I won't be buying is that dumb boat accessory, can't believe they even thought to make something like that. At least they could do is make some kind of weapon Kinect Bundle with a machine gun, lightsaber or something, but a boat??

Same thing happened to me when trying to do a transfer.

What a way to save money! But aren't you getting Kinect with your new Xbox?

Wow man $126 for a new 360! Woot!

My Son is wanting an X-Box 360 real bad for Christmas. He wants the "Kinnect" part for it too. We'll see right?

Thanks for the info and for letting me stop by :)

Gary.

My Son is wanting an X-Box 360 real bad for Christmas. He wants the "Kinect" part for it too. We'll see right?

Gary.

Yea, that would the part I didn't like. Losing the profiles. New Slate for new ones I suppose.

I just don't know why anyone would even want any other consoles but the xBox and Kinect anymore. These things are the top of everyones list this year

The girlfriend and I just bought the kinect for her son. I can't wait till Saturday to play it!

We are considering putting a games console in all our hotel bedrooms and at present we are moving in favour of the xBox with Kinect. Is this a good choice?

What a deal! Love the anecdote1

A really interesting post here. Sorry to hear about the additional fee, but nice of the lady to give you the offer

I don't know if anyone has heard of this site before, but it seems really really cool...i think you will all like it...mainly because its free...might as well check it out..worth a try right? http://mystoryuntold.com

http://mystoryuntold.com

That's why I Love my PS3

I think I will keep this in mind when I transfer my games over. Thanks for the heads up.

Anthony

Great idea maybe you should upgrade your package with some decent headsets

I love my PS3, I can't change it to something else.

I had my Xbox about a year ago. It's a pain trying to find the games that I wanted in a cheaper market. But good thing I found it for a much lesser value..

None of them are going to taste like breast milk….. it will just be a matter of trying to find one your daughter will drink and will do ok in her digestive tract. My pediatricians office recommends Enfamil Lipil and Similac Advance.

That's a sweet deal though either way. You can always use an extra controller.

I had an Xbox but I used to collect PS's. This one's pretty interesting.

This one's fantastic!

It's pretty interesting. I had an xbox before but gave it to my nephew.

I did the same thing except i traded in my Xbox for a PS3 and got a good deal.

Wow, what a great price, is this still available?

It's a good deal. I traded my Xbox for a ps3

Lol i would probably go crazy if that happened to me, probably would have even crashed on my way there lmao.
Want to learn how to get xbox live for free emailed to you then visit www.xboxlivegoldforfree.com

To the guy 1 post above... I think that the price of the XBOX 360 is permanently at $150 now.

Really dropped in price at last. I guess they made enough money back on the development costs to justify it.

It actually MOVES the information to the other device instead of copying. I had initiated a transfer before that I canceled about 25% of the way through, then deleted whatever was on there because I assumed it just copied.

D'oh.

Losing a huge amount of saved games is horrible.

My girlfriend decided to "clean up" my Xbox while I was away for a week (she has OCD) and I lost about half of my saved games. She didn't realise I may still want saves for games I haven't played in a few months...

I hope it didn't take you too long to do it all again!

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites