Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« Upgrading Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 [FYI] | Main | This is Pretty Sad, Isn't It? [Never Enough] »

User Experience Changes in Outlook 2010 [FTW] | Posted at 8:11 AM

I wanted to make a list of changes that I really appreciate from a usability perspective. Thank you Outlook team!

• Reordering Accounts: You can finally reorder your left pane accounts any way you want; now my archive folder is properly at the bottom and my accounts are ordered by importance.
  • Auto-detect Outgoing Mail Account to Use: It used to be in 2007 that when you composed a new mail, it defaulted to using your main email account. Now, however, it properly detects what account the current folder you're viewing is associated with and uses that. YES. Now my hack of an addin is no longer needed!

I will keep this list updated as I discover new features.

Filed Under: Miscellaneous Reviews Tips and Tricks

The feature that I'd like to see in Outlook (I have 2007) is to tag emails or to be able to place comments that we can search on.

your concerns are very logical. I really liked it and yea, i like your profile picture as well :P

Outlook is a pain in the butt... why in this day and age are messages still being stored on a computers hard drive? Mozilla Thunderbird is the good stuff.

Did you know that you can use Microsoft Outlook to make emails in advance and have them go out automatically hours, days, weeks, months or even years later?

I'm wish they had a feature on Outlook2010 that hid emails with certain keywords in them so that only the owner of the pc can read them.

Thanks for your post, I still am using outlook 2007 but thanks to the changes I've indicated I'm going to switch to Outlook 2010

Thanks for sharing this useful information. But I am still using outlook 2007. I really want to switch to use outlook 2010 later.

Can anyone please tell me if Outlook 2010 can be used with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

While it seems like Outlook is improving things, I still prefer to use Thunderbird from Mozilla.

hey Kamran, have you used Zimbra? I just downloaded it a couple of days back and Im impressed. From a usability perspective, I find it way better than outlook. Still playing with it to see if it can take emails from your domain accounts.

Speaking of Zimbra.. I know people who are customer supports of Zimbra here.. some of them are my friends.

Charles Baratta

I would like to see Outlook PST files compacted a little. They seem to be getting more and more difficult to backup and restore as Outlook grows!

Microsoft Outlook aotomated feature is really cool, not everyone seems to know about it though!

Agrees that making backups of .pst for migration of emails on a reimaged machine is getting out of hand. even when I delete all the extraneous stuff I think I'll never reference again I still have a huge PST..

I agree totally, the PST files are getting out of control to backup, they should be compacted down and be easier to restore.

Im still using outlook 200k too. for me it till good but i'll change to 2010 soon.

I still prefer using MS Office outlook 2007, it works flawlessly with me.

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites