Designs | Resume | KamranAyub.com | email: ayubx003 (@umn.edu)

« This is Pretty Sad, Isn't It? [Never Enough] | Main | Wow, Fallout New Vegas is Infested with Bugs [Disappointment] »

Is your VMWare Player slow? Switch to VirtualBox. [Virtualization] | Posted at 12:20 PM

Mine was. I am on Windows 7 64-bit and I was trying to virtualize a Windows 2008 R2 server so I can transfer all my development tools. It had the benefit of cleaning off my computer and putting all my dev stuff into a neat little package I only had to run when I wanted to work.

I chose to use VMWare Player because of VMWare's fame. The problem was, it was sometimes much slower than my host machine, suspending state made it even worse, and shared folders caused issues with Visual Studio.

I had tried looking online at potential issues it could be but didn't find anyone with my issues. wPrime showed that the guest OS was using almost as much CPU power as my host OS so that didn't seem to be the problem.

So in the end, I switched to VirtualBox, an open source software from Oracle. It was wicked fast and easy to configure (make sure to enable IO APIC for Windows machines). Shared Folders even seemed to work better because when I created a sym link to my host OS development folder, Visual Studio didn't seem to have the issues it did on VMWare.

So if your VMWare Player seems like it's not pulling its weight, I'd recommend switching.

8GB of RAM now seems like a good investment to me. The CPU seems fine even under load; I usually only use one OS at a time, not both.

image

Here is my configuration:

image

PS. Is this a mindwarp or what?

image

That's "Seamless" (Right-ctrl+L) where it will hide your guest OS desktop background and it will look like you have integration between both OSs. You can click any of the windows and they respond as they should. It's awesome.

Filed Under: Miscellaneous Technology Tips and Tricks

I moved over to VirtualBox about 2 years ago. VMWare just wouldn't play nice with CentOS.

Since then, I have been very happy with VirtualBox, but am hoping that Oracle's recent acquisition of it (along with Java and whatever else was in the deal with Sun) doesn't mean it being quietly allowed to fade and die, as Oracle already has its own virtualization - Oracle VM.

Hmm.

I'm pretty sure that VirtualBox is, by far, the best virtual machine application for this kind of use.

However... I feel that using a web-based control panel, like the VMWare server, would make it a much, much better in the server virtualization field.

At the end of the day it really feels like something that is is intended towards desktop users(non server).

VirtualBox does make the virtual machine creation process very simple though.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that VirtualBox has awesome support and a great website, which far exceeds that of VMWare.

Two words: It's awesome. Okay, that was three words. :D

I'm in the process of switching from VirtualBox to VMWare Player because VB has no USB support.

VMWare Player supports USB but turns out it is excruciatingly slow.

So now I'm looking for a way to either speed up VMWare Player or to get USB to work on VirtualBox.

Any suggestions?

I have some ideas relating to a music production platform, but I am new to this. I am hoping that VirtualBox is my best option.
Richard Hedges
Drum lessons in Portsmouth

I am have some ideas relating to a music production platform, but I am new to this. I am hoping that VirtualBox is my best option.
Richard Hedges
Drum lessons in Portsmouth

Wow I thought VMware was faster since it is a commercial product with more years in the market than Virtualbox

Virtualbox might be faster but in term of supports VMWare is clear winner.

VMWare is also good, but you need to get the commercial version. I didnt see noticeable diferences in speed, but the useability of virtualbox is far better. the guest intergration is also very nice

It seems it's a very good idea to upgrade your RAM. Try those high end RAM like DDR4 and if you want double the capacity like 16GB also try to enable binary translation in VMWare or do it by a script. Go to VMWare website for more references.

Windows 7 still cannot performs how XP does.
They still need alot of times to fix it.

I'm not sure if I want to use VirtualBox. Oracle might just kill free product anytime.

Yes I agree. Windows 7 still has a long way to go! You may use VirtualBox provided that you have another option in case it will be gone.

Charles Baratta

The problem was, it was sometimes much slower than my host machine, suspending state made it even worse, and shared folders caused issues with Visual Studio.

I have changed but still find it as slow :(

Oracle might want to kill VirtualBox, but the fact that most of its code is Open Source means it can't die. Someone like Red Hat or Canonical could take it inhouse if Oracle tried to kill it and Oracle could do nothing about it. I use VMware myself, but am glad Parallels and Virtualbox are out there because they keep VMware honest.

Thanks for the help, but after all the trouble that the PS network has had recently I'm reluctant to give them any of my info.

Try HP Printer, legacy modem, and other high-powered USB devices? VirtualSux can't. Fail.

Try to copy and paste directly from your Host OS to VirtualSux? Can't. Fail.

Finally try to play games WarCraft 3? VirtualSux - what games? Fail.

VirtualBox is much better than VMWare in my opinion.

Nice one-liner you delivered to Chuck when he mentioned Richard Simmons. Even though he’s an exercise freak, he’s the real wimp. Nice going, man.

I agree 100%, VirtualBox is much better but thats just me opinion!

creo que el material expuesto en tu blog es super top y ameno

Thanks For the info..! but what about Microsot virtual pc 2007?

sry :) its Microsoft virtual pc 2007?

gracias por deleitarnos con temas tan amenos.
saludos cordiales

isabella

I will check out VirtualBox.

I am on win7 64x as well and try same. This was a big problem for me. I am lucky that I read your post. Thanks.

saludos cordiales

isabella
)))))

Great configuration! Hug from italy

About the Author

Kamran
Divide by Zero is Kamran Ayub's personal blog. Kamran owns and operates Intrepid Studios, a web design and development firm based in Minneapolis. Despite the above picture, Kamran is usually an intelligent person. Please forgive him.

View Kamran Ayub's profile on LinkedIn

Add to Technorati Favorites