« Thoughts on Warhol | Main | Fun Time »

Self Portrait

Portrait.jpg

Theory of contemporary art. Given that a theory is an opinion or a hypothesis, I see more that everything is art, but not everything is art. Confused statement indeed, but it is how minds seem to be working recently. Things that used to not be art (for atheistic purposes) are no considered art as long as there is some kind of reason behind it, some kind of cause. The traditional forms of art are being therefore shunted into the category of "craft." Personally, this angers me beyond reasoning. A glass blower uses tradition to sculpt a bowl, THAT is art to me. An oil painter captures a beautiful building on canvas, THAT is art to me. Yet, to the theorist of art, that is some craft that has been done before. See that, done that. (grrrr) However, I would turn that upon those saying that, because, simply put, I think the same of their art. A five year old could make it, but they are quite certain of seeing beneath the beneath and correlating it with some current event, etc. So, within the boundary of the above theory, Everything is art, everything simply deviates from person to person.

Therefore, I'm not exactly fond of too much out there. I don't really dislike specific artists (generally they've done SOMETHING I somewhat appreciate). For artists I like, I've always been influenced by my sister (she's into digital art), my friends (more the sketching, character development, and comic creation), and other artists I've stumbled onto over the internet. In particular, I've always liked Stephanie Pui-Mun Law. Her watercolors (something I've never really tried) bring out so much color, yet it is subtle and wonderful. Her use of traditional stories for some of her pieces I've also found highly interesting as I've always enjoyed history.

On my piece in specific, I just wanted to capture some things that make me who I am. Sketching has been in my life since elementary school, so I wanted to involve my scribbling in margins take on life (can't take notes in class without some little drawing scrawling up the side). I also wanted to include my oil painting method - so I tried to make my face painterly. My painting topics also effected my choice of images to place on the wall (ie the castle with green-lit smoke). I have recently started on pieces that have vivid colors off setting black. Haunting has been the descriptor other have given them, but I prefer to see it as what the eye actually sees...before it is dulled by perception and destroyed by grey. I cropped my face in the way I did, simply because I hate having my picture taken. I'd rather had my pictures on display with me hiding in a corner as I have extreme phobia of public interaction *shudder*