Ch. 2 & 3

While reading Ch. 2, I found it quite interesting that the Declaration of Independence written by Thomas Jefferson was considered a manifesto, I had never thought of it in that way and am used to manifestos being written by artists and artist movements. Also, some of the various methodologies used for producing a design that stuck out to me were: Python philosophy, TIMTOWTDI, and KISS. The statement from Dieter Rams makes some good points like "Harmony is better than divergency, Neutral is better than aggressive, and A system is better than single elements." It's crazy to think how much technology and style has been changed now days compared to what was socially acceptable 10+ years prior. I don't quite understand the Ems and ens, just that they are used for measuring the body of text and an en is equal to half of an em. Understanding the Golden Section is key in graphic design and I am trying to get a better grasp on it, I feel that this reading has helped me a bit in learning how to use it. I learned that the visual center is higher and a little to the right of the mathematical center of something. The list of human proportions and all the various was to measure the human body was engaging to read. Reading about Corbusier's use of the golden ratio and his use of the human form in architecture was interesting. I found out that gestalt is used to talk about a design as a combination of a bunch of different elements, not just one.
Reviewing the symmetrical and asymmetrical grid by reading chapter 3 was helpful.
How columns are set up affects the readability of text.

This page contains a single entry by babco088 published on April 20, 2010 11:11 AM.

Mood Board was the previous entry in this blog.

Ch. 4 is the next entry in this blog.