Recently in Reading Responses Category

Ch. 4

When looking at the examples from the book Fault Lines, the use of text and images really does take your eye either to the text above or equal with the text next to the image.

Ch. 2 & 3

While reading Ch. 2, I found it quite interesting that the Declaration of Independence written by Thomas Jefferson was considered a manifesto, I had never thought of it in that way and am used to manifestos being written by artists and artist movements. Also, some of the various methodologies used for producing a design that stuck out to me were: Python philosophy, TIMTOWTDI, and KISS. The statement from Dieter Rams makes some good points like "Harmony is better than divergency, Neutral is better than aggressive, and A system is better than single elements." It's crazy to think how much technology and style has been changed now days compared to what was socially acceptable 10+ years prior. I don't quite understand the Ems and ens, just that they are used for measuring the body of text and an en is equal to half of an em. Understanding the Golden Section is key in graphic design and I am trying to get a better grasp on it, I feel that this reading has helped me a bit in learning how to use it. I learned that the visual center is higher and a little to the right of the mathematical center of something. The list of human proportions and all the various was to measure the human body was engaging to read. Reading about Corbusier's use of the golden ratio and his use of the human form in architecture was interesting. I found out that gestalt is used to talk about a design as a combination of a bunch of different elements, not just one.
Reviewing the symmetrical and asymmetrical grid by reading chapter 3 was helpful.
How columns are set up affects the readability of text.

Anatomy 2

In reading this I agree with changing colors of the same typographic or image of a cover design or poster. I think that in doing this to direct your product/ information at a much broader audience is smart. For instance if you post a poster around school with the same images but with different color palettes on each poster, you will catch the eye of all different kinds of viewers. Like if I saw a orange poster, I would probably be drawn to it because that is my favorite color and if the information is as interesting as the color being displayed I would read it. I also think that the use of clip art and ornamentation in design is also appealing to the eye and is still successfully used today.

Charity Design Response

I think that non-profit organizations would be great people to design for, even though you may not get money for your work, you would be helping out a good cause and be getting your work out there. I feel like designers may have some rules and guide lines to follow when making an advertisement for a non-profit organization, but in comparison to designing for a firm and or a company, you would be having to follow much stricter guidelines and having to communicate to a certain audience.

Contemporary Graphic Design of Iran

It is understandable for graphic designers in Iran to be going through some difficulties due to the state of their country, along with what Farshid Mesghali says about Iran not having a society that cherishes a unified culture. Because their society is part rural and part newcomer city dwellers with rural backgrounds, while both have different cultural views and lifestyles. I could see how that would be hard to try and aim your designs at such varying audiences. Mesghali said that they have graphic design schools and colleges that visual communication is not taken into serious consideration, I found that quite odd. When he says that they are more concerned with creating graphic artists I thought that was justifiable. I thought it was wild that it was up to the designers personal taste while creating a advertisement with no priorities on communicative significance from the person paying for the ad to be made. In contrast, here in the U.S. I feel that designers most of the time have a strict amount of information that must be present in an advertisement to be conveyed to the viewers. The two types of graphic design Mesghali lists are sad to hear as a graphic designer, one being local; for domestic use which they neglect to think about and work on. The other is for participating in international contests, which is unfortunate that these graphic designers have to rely on engaging in international contests, which doesn't even mean that their work will be paid for or chosen. It is sad that their designs are not connected more to their community and have no real tie to any certain audiences. Overall, this article was very eye opening and I found out a lot about Iranian graphic design and their comparison/ contrast with Western design that I would have never know before.

Reading: What Is Color Theory?

This reading was a nice review of color and where it stands along with how important color harmony is in art. The evolution and creation of the color wheel, triangles, and other diagrams like the Munsell Tree were appealing and informing. I believe it is true that personal preference plays a role in selected color harmonies. Once I read about colors and their associations, meanings, and cultural links, it opened my eyes to how significant color really is. I knew that there were positives and negatives to every color, but not to the extent that I read about. I knew about most of the associations with colors, but I was not aware of all the cultural links behind colors, for example how many different colors are "mourning" colors or indicate death for different cultures and countries. Along with the religious symbolisms connected to a certain color.

Reading: Problem Solved Ch.2

The reading was very interesting and made you think. The use of trompe l'oeil in the British aeroplane stamps were amazing. At first or even second glance one could not see that there is a face of the plane designer in the clouds, unless told to look for it. It makes you appreciate this little stamp so much more. The book cover with the text printed onto silk is a very clever idea and I personally haven't seen a book cover like that before. I enjoy advertisements and designs that look as if you could feel the texture or grab the object that is in front of you, but really it is simply on a flat piece of paper. For example, the Red monarch Film Poster. The red on Stalin's nose looks like a real tomato with the effect of the splattering. It gives a life like feeling that if you went up to it you could touch it and feel the saturation of the tomato.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.