« University of Minnesota proposes options for light-rail | Main | How leads lead a story »

University student sparks YouTube competition

A University of Minnesota architecture student sparked a YouTube fan competition in which the winner will get to open for Wyclef Jean on his current tour, reported the Minnesota Daily.

For about a month, senior Dan Sederstrom has been posting videos of himself performing acoustic covers on the Web site. On Jan. 16, Sederstrom received an e-mail from Kathy Baker, senior director of digital marketing for Columbia Records, inviting him to choose a tour date in which he would open for Wyclef.

“Right away when I heard the message, I was really skeptical,? Sederstrom said.

However, after verifying the email address, Sederstrom realized the offer was real.

“After that, it was kind of like a sole realization of ‘This is real,’ and I was kind of freaking out,? Sederstrom said. “I didn't know what to do. I was hopping up and down; my roommates were throwing me up in the air.?

According to Baker, Wyclef requested the implementation of the competition. She also said that this is the first time she has ever worked on such a promotion.

On Feb. 15 Sederstrom will perform with Wyclef at the University of San Francisco.