« Bus crashes on I-94 | Main | Legendary film actor dies »

WCCO staple is no longer in the forecast

WCCO forecaster Paul Douglas is no longer working at WCCO-TV, reported the Pioneer Press.

Douglas, channel 4’s chief meteorologist who joined the station in 1997, was laid off Monday. The announcement however came Friday.

According to WCCO director of communications, Kiki Rosatti, the decision to let Douglas go is tied to the restructuring of the station.

The restructuring began last week when management laid off four people, including weekend anchor John Reger.

Ken Stone, a University of Minnesota professor who teaches TV reporting and newscast producing, said the decision to lay off Douglas was stunning, short-sighted and stupid.

“Douglas is the weather franchise for the station,? he said. “He's a huge part of who the station is.?

“I think they're going to lose some viewers,? Stone said. “No one's irreplaceable, but it's the kind of thing that might look good on the books right now. But you just wonder if the audience erosion they've already seen will be hastened. That's the gamble.?

In an e-mail to friends, Douglas said he and his wife were "a bit dazed" by the decision but are committed to staying in Minnesota.

I am very disappointed with the disappearance of Paul Douglas. There should have at least been a good by party for him so your viewing audience could have said good bye.

He is one of the reasons I watched WCCO weather, guess I will have to go back to channel 11.