University Brand Perception and the .xxx Domain Survey

Thumbnail image for study.jpg
This evening I participated in the University Brand Perception and the .xxx Domain Survey via the SJMC research pool. Based on the questions, it is obvious that the researcher set out to determine people's opinions towards .xxx domains and the perceived image participants have of universities that buy these domains to protect their online image. The survey was completely composed of Likert Scales and didn't give any open-ended question.

Although I think this type of scale is qualified for the type of results the researcher is looking for I worry that because this is an extra credit survey, that few people will actually read about what a .xxx domain is and therefore, the researchers could receive inconsistent or skewed data. Thus, I think that this survey would be better suited for an audience that has experience of prior knowledge of .xxx domains. Without this prior knowledge, it would be hard to gauge such newly formed opinions solely from likert scales.